cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

robotics/Control a real-time system with LabView+NI DAQ

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am building this real time application in which you can try control methods for a particular system (building the control algorithm in LabView running on Windows) and then with a DAQ board (I have the SCB-68 E-Series) communicate with the hardware (actuators).

Is this DAQ board enough or should I try with any other board? For the considered application is important that the freq rate is at least 1kHz.

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(2,953 Views)
The SCB-68 is just a terminal block.  We need to know which DAQ card is in your PC.  However, 1Khz sampling rates are very slow.  Any DAQ card should do.
LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
Message 2 of 12
(2,944 Views)

So I found on this page that the E Series can output at 333 kHz analog and it looks like 20 MHz digital. I think the "SCB-68" is actually a connector block, not the DAQ.  The DAQ board I'm guessing is the E-Seires.  So from those numbers it sounds like you shouldn't have a problem.  Can you post the model of the DAQ board you are using?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(2,935 Views)

The DAQ I am planning to use is NI PCI 6220 . Thanks for the fast answers and sorry, I forgot to put this in the first place

Anyway, I am more worried about the LabView real time than about the sample rate, will LabView on Windows be able to provide this I/O frequency rates in real time?I have never worked with this system before.

Mensaje editado por igali
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(2,922 Views)
From the looks of it, you should be fine :smileyhappy:
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(2,918 Views)
If you design your control on the FPGA, the controller should be able to run at 1 kHz real time easily.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(2,914 Views)

The thing is that I plan to control everything directly from LabView to the hardware without using any FPGA.

Using control blocks and LabView real time module

Mensaje editado por igali
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(2,904 Views)
Oh okay, I think I understand what you are asking.  It sounds like you are running the control algorithm in Windows.  Is that right?  If so, I think you may run in to some issues in that Windows in not deterministic and does not run in real time. 
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(2,893 Views)
Yes, that's what I intended to ask, if LabView real time module will work at that constant frequency (1khz at least) even if it is running on Windows
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(2,891 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author igali
The 6220 is a perfectly fine card for your current application.  It's true that windows is non-deterministic and can't compete with real-time hardware/software but your DAQ will be in charge of handling the timing and synchronization tasks so you'll be just fine.  If your application advances to the point that you need very fast real-time response you can always buy a LV RT system.
LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,888 Views)