LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

return pointer dll

Just to add:

Instead of calling LabVIEW.exe, the same functions are also in lvrt.dll. Path:

Program Files\National Instruments\shared\LabVIEW Run-Time\Version# by default.

That way a build executable can be distributed leaglly.

Felix 

0 Kudos
Message 11 of 21
(1,451 Views)

"F. Schubert" <x@no.email> wrote in message
news:1237299009954-872295@exchange.ni.com...
> Just to add:Instead of calling LabVIEW.exe, the same functions are also in
lvrt.dll. Path:Program Files\National Instruments\shared\LabVIEW
Run-Time\Version# by default.That way a build executable can be distributed
leaglly.&nbsp;Felix&nbsp;

Felix,

I think if you just type "labview" in the dll path, it will automatically
use lvrt.dll in executables, and labview.exe in development mode.

I never noticed that labview.exe was needed in my executables, not even on
rt-only machines.

Regards,

Wiebe.

Message 12 of 21
(1,445 Views)

Thanks again Wiebe. Just typing in LabView even autocorrects to LabVIEW. The drawback is, that the Function Browser is not working any more... Guess, that's fixed in newer versions, as I'm still on outdated 7.1.

Felix 

0 Kudos
Message 13 of 21
(1,433 Views)
"F. Schubert" <x@no.email> wrote in message
news:1237376409009-873068@exchange.ni.com...
> Thanks again Wiebe. Just typing in LabView even autocorrects to LabVIEW.
The drawback is, that the Function Browser is not working any more... Guess,
that's fixed in newer versions, as I'm still on outdated
7.1.&nbsp;Felix&nbsp;

I'm pretty sure that even when you browse to labview.exe, the application
builder uses lvrt.dll in executables. I always browse to labview.exe (since
LV5 or so), and have never experienced any problems.

Regards,

Wiebe.

0 Kudos
Message 14 of 21
(1,426 Views)

Can't check that as I'm not having a computer without LabView.

But the in the data folder of the built, I got the LabView.exe copied.

Felix 

0 Kudos
Message 15 of 21
(1,418 Views)

ok, 

I'm through with this (almost), only one error left:)

When I copy the project and all subVI's, subfolders and dll project on other computer with LabView installed and try to run it I get error: "cannot run XXX.dll, compiled with wrong properties" Why? I'm using Visual Studio to compile the dll and on the other computers VS is not installed. What should I tick in project options to make it possible to run on other computers?
0 Kudos
Message 16 of 21
(1,379 Views)

przemmo wrote:

ok, 

I'm through with this (almost), only one error left:)

When I copy the project and all subVI's, subfolders and dll project on other computer with LabView installed and try to run it I get error: "cannot run XXX.dll, compiled with wrong properties" Why? I'm using Visual Studio to compile the dll and on the other computers VS is not installed. What should I tick in project options to make it possible to run on other computers?

That is not something you can fix in LabVIEW. If you use any C runtime functions in your DLL your DLL links with one of the msvcrtxx.dll by default. Each Visual Studio comes with a new version of those runtime libraries. Older Visual Studio runtimes come installed with the Windows versions that got released AFTER the Visual Studio version was released since components in Windows are compiled with Visual C also, but usually not with Beta or such versions.

So when creating a DLL in a recent version of Visual Studio you also have to install the Visual Studio redistributable components on that computer in order to run a project using that DLL. Or you can go into your Visual Studio project settings and tell it to link the static versions of the C runtime libraries. This will make your DLL substantially bigger.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Message Edited by rolfk on 03-24-2009 09:18 PM
Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 17 of 21
(1,365 Views)

F. Schubert wrote:

Thanks again Wiebe. Just typing in LabView even autocorrects to LabVIEW. The drawback is, that the Function Browser is not working any more... Guess, that's fixed in newer versions, as I'm still on outdated 7.1.

Felix 

I alwaysuse LabVIEW as library name. This will make sure that it will run on all platforms and IDE and runtimes. The labVIEW for Mac executable is not called labview.exe.

And I don't find the lack of browsable function list a problem since I do use the External Code Function Reference when deciding what function to use and how! Smiley Very Happy

But LabVIEW 8.6 indeed shows the function list even when using LabVIEW as library name.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 18 of 21
(1,359 Views)

"go into your Visual Studio project settings and tell it to link the static versions of the C runtime libraries "

How can I do that rolfk?

0 Kudos
Message 19 of 21
(1,349 Views)

przemmo wrote:

"go into your Visual Studio project settings and tell it to link the static versions of the C runtime libraries "

How can I do that rolfk?

Well in the options for your project you should have a setting somewhere. In Visual C 6.0 it isin the C/C++ tab under Category Code Generation the drop down box called "use runtime library". Here you can select if it should link to a static single threade, static multi threaded or dynamic multithreaded library and if it should use the debug version of each. Can't help you with newer versions of Visual Studio since I refuse to use them for various reasons.

Rolf Kalbermatter

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 20 of 21
(1,337 Views)