cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

remote front panel in tablet

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all

I am trying to establish a remote front panel connection on to a windows 8 32 bit OS on 64 bit atom processor tablet from an exe deployed on myRIO. I had verified the remote front panel connectivity on the development PC (windows 8 64 bit OS on i7 processor), installed LV RT engine 2013 and the 32 bit drivers on the tablet. The problem is that the remote front panel connection gets stuck after some time. I am connecting the target to a B type USB which is connected to an OTG cable and then to tablet microUSB port.

1. I reduced the data rate to some 200 samples per second (displaying 20 values on a graph per 0.1 second), still the problem persists

2. The remote panel works pretty well when connected to development PC and to another PC (windows 8, 64 bit OS with LV RT 2013 installed) via USB, it is just the tablet that is losing the connection after a while (it says remote panel connection refused by specified server)

3. I connected target to a local network, enabled WiFi on the tablet and got remote panel working perfectly. It is just the physical USB connection to the tablet via OTG cable that is creating the problem after sometime

I came to the conclusion that the problem could be with the 32 bit drivers (the display gets stuck only after sometime though), OTG cable (i tried another one too) or that the tablet is running on 32 bit OS. I even installed LV 2013 on the tablet, developed a test exe and tried getting remote front panel, still the same problem persists. Any inputs as to what the problem might be?

Thanks

Arya

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 11
(3,677 Views)

If the WIFI works, I would just use it. Alternately, I would look into a better cable. With cut-rate calbles the first place thay start trying to save money is with the connectors.

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 11
(3,647 Views)

Hi Mike

Thankyou for your reply. I had actually replaced the locally made otg cable by one which came with acer iconia tablet too., still the same issue persists. Yes, wifi will be our second option, but we are trying to port the codes to another target too, which does not have wifi connectivity. In that case, we would have to connect to the network via ethernet cables which limit us in porting the set up. I am now in the process of installing windows 8 64 bit to another tablet so that i could check if that works.

Arya

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 11
(3,643 Views)
Have you had any success with this approach? Your application seems very similar to the one I'm planning. The foremost questioning had was "Will a LabVIEW-compiled executable run on an Atom/Win8 platform?" I too will eventually be accessing the remote front panel (which I've done on larger hosts before) and it would be very encouraging to hear that others are doing this already.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 11
(3,532 Views)
....foremost *question I had* was...
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 11
(3,526 Views)
I would say that it's a good chance -- given that NI just announced two new boxes (1 cRIO, 1 cDAQ) that run the Atom processor.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 11
(3,514 Views)
I would say that it's a good chance -- given that NI just announced two new boxes (1 cRIO, 1 cDAQ) that run the Atom processor.

Mike...

LabVIEW Champion

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 11
(3,513 Views)

Hi OzBradGill

Well, we have kept it on hold, as we have other aspects of the project to worry on right now. Meanwhile, I had also asked one NI Application Engineer the same, he too replied that it could be some driver buffer issues. He also advised to put 64 bit OS and test again. I will test it out hopefully this week itself and reply to this post. Meanwhile, as I had mentioned, the remote front panel worked like a charm using WiFi. So I think it is indeed possible.

Regards

Arya

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 11
(3,501 Views)

Sorry, I had accidently used my collegue's profile..!! Noticed that only after I posted the reply..

Arya

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 11
(3,494 Views)

Hi all

I had tried putting Win 64 multiple times in acer iconia and a dell tablet, for the past couple of weeks, but some how, it was not detecting the OS during boot..  Hence I am unable to try the Win64 option as of now.. 😞

Thanks and regards

Arya

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 11
(3,363 Views)