(3,107 Views)

RiveraTony wrote:

A bit more detail would help 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(3,106 Views)
Pressed the wrong button.Smiley Very Happy

Here is the rest.

Im trying to read available COM ports by reading HARDWARE\DEVICEMAP\SERIALCOMM in HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE. The problem is that 3 digit values are returned as 2 digits so that COM118 and COM119 both show up as COM11.

Just wondering if someone has seen this behavior before.

Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,096 Views)

Here is the code I'm using.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,091 Views)
Hi Rivera,

What OS and what version of LV are you using?
Aashish M
CEO
TransferFi
www.transferfi.com
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,066 Views)
I'm running Windows XP and have see this in Labview 8.5 and 8.6.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(3,044 Views)

RiveraTony wrote:
I'm running Windows XP and have see this in Labview 8.5 and 8.6.
While we know that there is a labview 8.6 beta, you cannot discuss it in public. There are other places for this. See also this post. 😮

Sorry, my computer does not have any serial ports, so I cannot try to duplicate.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,037 Views)

Hi Rivera,

I tried changing my COM port to 119 and 118. It seemed to appear fine when I used your VI to call the names. I don't have enough ports to reproduce your error. Have you tried changing the port numbers?

Aashish M
CEO
TransferFi
www.transferfi.com
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,003 Views)

I've done more experiments with this issue and found the following:

The problem is not related to the 3rd digit. I have a Bluetooth GPS that creates 2 COM ports and the last digit is always missing. I changed the port to 52 and 53 and its fine in regedit but LabVIEW shows 5 for both of them. Also I have a Motorola V3XX phone that creates a modem port as COM140 but show as COM14. However several Samsung phones I have tried create modems that display correctly in LabVIEW regardless whether they are 2 or 3 digits.

Manually changing the assigned port temporarily corrects the problem. I have not seen a manually assigned port number, via device manager whether 2 or 3 digit, display incorrectly in LabVIEW. However, removing and reconnecting the device places it in the manually assigned port again but LabVIEW displays it incorrectly again. Always missing the last digit.

It appears that the problem is related to how the device drivers created the entry but it’s interesting that while it always displays correctly in regedit, LabVIEW registry read function is not able to determine the correct ending of the string.

Message 9 of 10
(2,957 Views)

Hi Tony,

This was reported to R&D (CAR# 110352) for further investigation.

Thanks for the feedback!

Aashish M
CEO
TransferFi
www.transferfi.com
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,765 Views)