From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

reading forms from external applications

I have a non LabView application that I am trying to monitor with LV. A text status message is displayed in a text  box on the application and I need to get it. I can get the WinID of the applicaton main window but where do I go from there? Do I have to get the child window ID and if so then how? Can this be done just using user32.dll calls?

Norm

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,605 Views)

You need window handle not id.

If the text message is displayed in a child window, then yes, you have to get the child window handle.  Use GetWindow

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,604 Views)

Perhaps I'm using the wrong terminology. I am interested it getting the status message in the text box "Occupancy......" into LabVIEW. What questions should I be asking the programs author?DF Status screenshot

Message 3 of 5
(2,589 Views)

Now I'm confused.

Windows id is fine.  You can get window handle from the id with GetDialogItem

You can then use SendMessage with WM_GETTEXT to get the message you want.

If you can get answer from the program author, ask him:

1. Is the text box a child window of TestClient or grand child ... ?

2. Is the "text box" a real text box?

The string control / indicator in LabVIEW are not text box.  LabVIEW doesn't support SendMessage / WM_GETTEXT.  But you still can get text from LabVIEW in other method.

However, if it's like the LabVIEW context help window, then there is no way to get the text.

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,574 Views)

I am looking exactly the same answer like you, do you manage to get solution ? can you share your Solution here if you have it. Thanks .

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,063 Views)