cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

"Missing external function lvanlys.dll" when running EXE

Solved!
Go to solution

Windows 7 x32, LV2009SP1 / LVRuntime 2009

I am trying to build an EXE from a customer's code.  They use the analysis library (NI_AALBase.lvlib).

It runs fine on my dev machine.  When I build the EXE and pass it to a target machine with LVRuntime on it, I get the error:

Missing external function lvanlys.dll: Mean_head:C NI_AALBase.lvlib:Mean.vi.

I explicitly added the lvanlys library to the project.  I added the library as a source file in the build.  Finally I added the DLL itself to the project and as a source for the build.

Always the same error.  The DLL is located in the data folder after the build.  I tried to move it into the same folder as the EXE, and into the system32 folder.  Nope.

I just changed the DLL's extension to dllx and tried again, and I get the same error, so it looks like it can't find it.

Do I need to register this DLL or something?  Does it need a support file?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(14,831 Views)

Seriously.  Either I am getting old and cannot use SEARCH anymore, or the NI search is becoming really useless.  I searched for the string in my subject 3 times and did not find this:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/LABVIEW-2009-and-lvanlys-dll/m-p/1047882

He says installing the drivers fixed it.  Can anyone explain how this could be done without the drivers?  I don't want to install them.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(14,830 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Jed_Davidow

Are you building an installer or just transferring the executable?

If you are just tranferring the executable, make sure to include the "data" folder next to it.

(You might also want to check if the target PC has the std runtime engine (~170MB), and not just the minimum (38MB).)

Message 3 of 10
(14,827 Views)

Grrrr.  Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(14,823 Views)

I have a exactly the same problem, but there was only when I install the 2011 version with its runtime2011.

The link:
http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/070D3D9557AC278286257150008342F3

It offers no solution.

Forgot to include in the new version runtime2011?

Ing. Jorge Gomez
LOGIC ELECTRONICS
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(14,529 Views)

Hi jor9e,

Does installing the full 2011 Run-Time Engine on the target machine help, or do you already have it installed?

Tim W.

Applications Engineering

National Instruments

http://www.ni.com/support

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(14,509 Views)

I have the same issue.  The full standard runtime is installed.  I can see lvanalysis.dll in the data folder, still get the missing vi errors.

Any thing else to try?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(13,512 Views)

I'd like to add somthing to the discussion.

A coworker of mine (which is not into Labview at all) changed his laptop and moved a Labview application to the new laptop.

As the application was launched, a pop up window suggested to download the Labview run time engine, and an internet address was suggested.

My worker installed the Runtime Engine but it happend to be the minimal version. 

As a result, he got a screen full of errors, saying lvanlys.dll was missing.

Then we installed the full version and everything was all right.

National Instruments should warn the users that there are more download versions or possibly suggest the complete version if something goes wrong.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(13,254 Views)

Runawaycode wrote:

As the application was launched, a pop up window suggested to download the Labview run time engine, and an internet address was suggested.

I am not aware that there is a download link suggestion. Can you show us a picture of the popup window? Does the link really point to the minimum run time engine? That would be hard to believe.....

@Runawaycode wrote:

National Instruments should warn the users that there are more download versions or possibly suggest the complete version if something goes wrong. 

The download page for the run time engine is very specific about the various versions. It is a matter of actually reading it.

It is even more clear in the newer versions, where the minimum run time version has been renamed into web browser plugin. The description is:

This is the download page for the LabVIEW 2012 (32-bit) Remote Front Panel Web Browser Plug-in (formerly known as the Minimum Run-Time Engine). The Web Browser Plug-in is a smaller download intended for viewing VIs embedded in a web page.  It does not contain the full run-time engine and is not recommended for running executables.

Compare with the standard run time engine where the description is:

"This Run-Time Engine must be installed on any 32-bit or 64-bit Windows system where you plan to run executables that you build with the Application Builder in LabVIEW 2012 or 2012 SP1 (32-bit). Executables built with LabVIEW 2012 or 2012 SP1 (64-bit) require the LabVIEW 2012 (64-bit) Run-Time Engine.

Additionally, the Run-Time Engine allows your browser to display VIs embedded in Web pages."

I am not sure how much clearer it could be made. 😉 Do you have a suggestion?

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(13,251 Views)

Hello altenabch,

thanks for the reply. It didn't mean to be a critic versus NI, althought a possible improvement.

Actually, the coworker, as long as I know, isn't really expert in using PCs.

Furthermore, we are in Italy here, so it may well be he's not even skilled in reading english texts.

That was what he reported me. Smiley Indifferent

I saw that in a folder he downloaded some executables, including the minimal RTE 2011, so he possibly was in difficulties as to understand what to download.

Even the idea that is necessary some kind of "framework" or engine to make an exe work, sounds odd and puzzling to a non expert user.

Bye.

Message 10 of 10
(13,240 Views)