From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

property nodes error wirinng manners

Hello,

I just wanted to ask what is the usual way of wiring property nodes of controls? For example if I have 5 controls that I want to disable. Should I wire the errors in parallel (and then merge them) or sequentially or not wire them at all?
LV 2011, Win7
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,313 Views)
You'll probably get a lot of different answer on this depending on one's religion. Personally, I rarely wire up the error clusters to/from property nodes in the block diagram unless I want to establish specific execution order. If there is a run-time error there's little I can do about this, and it's worth worrying about it. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's my religion. Being wrong, that is. Smiley Wink
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,299 Views)
Hey ceties,
I usually wire errors no matter what. In your case, I would create an array of references and then use a for loop and pass the array of errors to the merge errors vi. The only disadvantage is that this serializes execution. This can be a problem if you're updating a lot of indicators on the front panel. However in that case I usually call "defer front panel updates" before I change properties and then once I'm finished I call "defer front panel updates" again, that way the front panel only updates once instead of per property node.

Chris C

Message Edited by Chris_C. on 03-06-2007 07:49 AM

Message Edited by Chris_C. on 03-06-2007 07:51 AM

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,275 Views)
Aren't property node updates serialized anyway due to the fact that they all execute in the UI thread?

Either way, the "Defer updates" option is always to be recommended when multiple property nodes are being set, this greatly enhances speed.

Shane.
Using LV 6.1 and 8.2.1 on W2k (SP4) and WXP (SP2)
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,259 Views)