LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

programatically create a new device configuration

Hello all,
I was wondering if it is possible to create a device (not a daq) but a SCC 2345 carrier module.  I would like to change a module based upon the test stand it is attached to.  I found I could read all modules but there was no invoke or property node which allowed me to do this.  I was also fiddling with active X and had no success.  It must be possible.  I do not know much of anything of .net or active X, but i will try anything.

The reason I am asking such a crazy request is I would like to create this option to babystep someone through the steps interactively with pictures so a LabVIEW traind person doesn't always have to be there to do set-ups.

Thanks in advance for your advice.

Chris Co.

Somehow this ended in the wrong board- sorry!Smiley Mad

Message Edited by Chris Co on 02-05-2007 01:18 PM

Message Edited by Chris Co on 02-05-2007 01:18 PM

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,498 Views)
Hi Chris,

It is not possible to configure the signal conditioning carrier SC-2345 programatically. The interface that you have in MAX is very friendly for non LabVIEW users (take for example SignalExpress users) so that they can change the configuration without looking at any code.
You could use LabVIEW to guide them to configure the module in MAX with pictures and everything. Something like interactive tutorial.
Hope this helps to move forward with this application,
Gerardo O.
RF SW Engineering R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,481 Views)

Just so I'm clear.

I can write a program that has the ability to compare the dynamically created task with the modules for the specific channels.  And after they do not match properly, shut the program down, open max, configure carrier, re-enter info again to dynamically create the task, check again to see if done properly, then continue?

I understand there may be a driver configuration issue, but still it would seem to be acheivable.  I do not want to shut the program down, besides not all people know about the different device characteristics like "hot swappable" and "you didn't just hot swap that module did you?".Smiley Surprised  This is just some of the things I would step a user through.  AND without making them angry because they have to enter the information again. (I'm fairly positive MAX absolutely hates it when you try to configure anything with its resources hanging in the breeze.)

Chris Co

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,475 Views)
Hi Chris,

I can write a program that has the ability to compare the dynamically created task with the modules for the specific channels.  And after they do not match properly, shut the program down, open max, configure carrier, re-enter info again to dynamically create the task, check again to see if done properly, then continue?

Well, not exactly. First, you cannot get the name of the modules that are configure in MAX, it is just not possible to know what accessory is on a device. But assuming you get an error, you can have a
slide show that shows the customer how to troubleshoot.

Therefore, the device is not active at any time, only a VI that acts as slide show.
Hope this helps,

Gerardo O.
RF SW Engineering R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,459 Views)
Yardov,

Well, not exactly. First, you cannot get the name of the modules that are configure in MAX, it is just not possible to know what accessory is on a device.
I have attached some documents and a vi in 8.2 that lets me do exactly that. Smiley Wink  I was hoping if it let me read it would also let me write- even if it was through .net or active X.

Chris Co.
Download All
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,455 Views)
Hi Chris,

Thanks for pointing these properties out to the forum. I did look at this before posting last time, as you can see in your code, this does not give you the carrier name (i.e. SC-2345) since this is the accessory. All the other properties you can get them but you cannot change them.
Best regards,

Gerardo O.
RF SW Engineering R&D
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,444 Views)