LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problems with labview and opc

Hi,

I'm using the eval version of Labview 8.5 and I'm trying to connect Labview to a Kepware OPC server. I found a tutorial about how to do it but when I follow the instructions I don't have the option to add an "I/O Server" for then select the OPC server. I want to know if that's because of the eval software and I have to buy it or there's another way to connect Labview to the OPC. I have my PLC Siemens connected to the OPC but not the OPC with Labview.

Thanx for your help
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(3,708 Views)
          Well I never had the eval version but I guess this option should be on it. You have to right clic on "my computer"in your project, and select "New -->  I/O Server", If it really doesn't appears then you can try to use data binding in a control (right clic in a control or terminal of the same data type of the variable you want to connect to: Properties/ Data binding/Data socket/DSTP server/select your OPC server/select your variable or address)
Paul
Mechatronic engineer
Lima-Perú
Message 2 of 10
(3,697 Views)
When you right-click on My Computer>New there doesn´t appear the I/O Server option or it appears but when you click it, the I/O server list appears empty?
The I/O servers appears only if you have the DSC Module Installed. If you don't have it, the I/O servers list appear empty.

JCFC

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(3,633 Views)

Maiki,

The evaluation version os LabView does not offer the possibility of using any I/O or external hardware.

Dario Camargo

NI Brazil

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(3,542 Views)
Hi Maiki or somebody else
I have exactly the same goal. How do I use kepware with labview. I saw your information that, you had an torturioal about how to use Kepware OPC with Labview., Can you pls. send me a link, or tell how to find that torturioal.  
Dears Lars
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(3,504 Views)
Hi Maiki,
        Paul_m is dead right !! Follow the instructions as given by him . (Right click=> Properties=> Data Binding =>Browse(DSTP Server) =>KepwareEX OPC server => Variable name)
        I have used this method successfully.

Shaheryar
  Electronics Engineer
Message 6 of 10
(3,496 Views)
Hi LBD,

As far as I know you need the DSC Module or the DSC Runtime to use the Kepware OPC-Server. When using Shared Variables it is very important to run the Kepware OPC-Server as a service. If you have further questions, please ask. Notice that the OPC-Server in evaluation mode is only free for 2 hours.

HTH
Joachim

Message Edited by Joachim082 on 04-20-2008 07:55 PM
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(3,487 Views)
Hi
I've done with Data Biding and is working perfectly.

Thanks a lot,

Maiki
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(3,463 Views)
I am having the same problem of coneecting with the Kepware OPC.. I dont have the DSC module but i still want to connect.. I tried out the rightclick of the My computer in my new project and clicked on the properties menu.. But I dont see any data sockets. All i see are:

General :
Vi server : config
Vi server : machine access
Vi server : User access
Conditional disable Symbols
Math script : search parts

i have a full development version of labview.. could any one suggest on it..

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(3,278 Views)
Never mind.. I figured it out.. My bad.. But the data binding works awesome...
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(3,273 Views)