From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

problem with syringe pump control

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I am trying to control Harvard Apparatus Pump 11 Pico Plus Elite using LABVIEW 2016. I'm using USB interface for communicating syringe pump with the computer. The connection seems fine and labview code seems to run without any error but the syringe pump won't move. I've been working on this for three days and I'm getting little frustrated...

I would greatly appreciate any help =(

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(4,257 Views)

I can't test your VI, and I can't even see the critical parts of it because you didn't upload include the VIs that handle the actual serial communication, but a couple of possible problems:

1) Don't close the communications inside the loop. Move that outside the loop; you only want to close the communications once, when you stop the program. Again, I can't see what's going on inside that function, but it's quite possible that it sends an abort command, which would explain why you're not seeing the pump move but aren't getting any other errors.

2) There should be a wait or other timing function inside your while loop. The easiest one is to drop a Wait (ms) function inside the while loop, with a value of 100ms or so wired in.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(4,238 Views)

Thank you for your input nathand.

I'm using Harvard Apparatus Drivers and perhaps that's why you can't see my labview code?

I've tried your suggestions, but no luck...

Light flashes on the pump and it says "Computer control active" on pump's screen. That means pump and the computer are talking to each other right?

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(4,209 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author yk57

Did you look at the examples that are part of that library? Do the examples work properly? They are a good starting point. Also, did you look at the documentation for the pump? I note that the example sets a target volume before it starts infusing, which you don't do. Without a target volume to infuse or dispense, the pump won't go anywhere 😉

Message 4 of 7
(4,192 Views)

I contacted Harvard Apparatus about this and I've been using the wrong driver all this time!!

So "Pump 11" Pico Plus Elite pump doesn't use the normal "Pump 11 series" driver but uses driver for PhD ultra pump series...

The Pump 11 and the Elite 11 / PicoElite 11 use a different command set, so VI written for pump 11 does not work with an Elite 11.

I don't know why they had to name them so confusingly, but at least I got it to work...

Thanks so much for your help nathand!!

I really appreciate it!

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(4,160 Views)

I am trying to control Graseby 3400 pump by bluetooth  interface. The connection seems fine and labview code seems to run without any error but the syringe pump  move 20 or 30% slowly. The manual is free in internet, the engineer can not find the answer. 

I would greatly appreciate any help 

Thank you

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(3,535 Views)

That's not enough information to figure out what's wrong. Can you post your code?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(3,526 Views)