From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

prob whille getting the bytes at serial port in serial communication

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi all,

I an using the serial write vi to send the command to the instrument. the response i get is read usin the read vi. i am using in between read and write the serial bytes at port to accumulate the bytes. bu what i have observed is quite strange. when i run the vi with the debugger on, i could c that the bytes at serial port is 201 and what i get in read buffer is only 133.

can any1 guess out what the prob would b??..

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(3,094 Views)

Hi,

Try to put a time delay between your read and write modules say 1000ms. You will get the full data i suppose by doing this. Let me know if it works..

Regards,

Nitzz

(Kudos are always WelcomeSmiley Wink)

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(3,086 Views)

ya i have already put the delay of 2000 msec. what i m tryin to say is i am expecting 201 bytes from the serial port.. and with the degugger i can c that there are 201 bytes at the port. but what i get in the read buffer is only of 133 bytes. the data i collect in the read buffer, i convert into array using string to byte array.

i am ttaching the snapshot of what happens...

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(3,080 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author saki

You don't show the VISA Configure Serial Port function but I'm guessing you have the termination character enabled. A read will automatically terminate when the character is detected and you should never enable it when you are trying to read hex.

Message 4 of 5
(3,070 Views)

Placing a delay is not the solution.

Have a look at the code snippet that I posted here:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/Reading-time-interval-of-serial-port/m-p/1529140#M568806

The modified code is also attached in that post. 

The solution is to place the serial read inside a loop which continues to read until there is no more data in the buffer. 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(3,066 Views)