From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

printing from a file

Is it possible to print a string of numbers from a file after the file is called? i have tried printing a graph on the screen by setting the VI to print panel when VI completes execution, and it prints whatever is displayed on my screen.
My aim now is to run a for loop of 10 random numbers and printing those 10 numbers after the loop ends execution. Will it be necessary to use Excel for this function?

Hope someone has some comments on this 🙂
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,559 Views)
If you want to print a graph, you should make a subVI only containing it, and with the format you want for the printing, and set "Print panel when finished". When you want to print your graph, pass data to the subVI, and it will print it. If what you want is to print data, you could make the same but using other format but a graph in the subVI, for example, an string control. There's the option to write directly to the parallel port using serial port vi's, and use ESC-codes to format data (most printers accept them), but that can be relatively much work.
Hope this comment helps :)"
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,559 Views)
You can use the report functions. LabVIEW 6 also supports including a graph in the report. There are report examples included with LabVIEW (Examples>Advanced>Report Generation).
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,559 Views)
Dennis,

my main problem is that im using LabVIEW 5.0 and most functions are not available to me. if you can help me with the 'printing function', do feel free to drop me a line at hyukie_35@hotmail.com

thankyou
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,559 Views)
I think your only alternatives is to pass the strings to a sub-vi that is set to print when finished as Gorka mentioned in his reply or to use Excel or Word.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,559 Views)