LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

possible issues with executables using VISA

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi, I have a LV 2012 SP1 source code developed under Windows 7. The source code uses VISA  for serial communication. I have built executables from this source code that work without problems on a PC with Windows 7.
Now I have to use Windows 8 and to build the executables from the same source code I used before. However when using the new executables (made under Windows 😎 on the same PC with Windows 7 as before I get an error in the VISA communication.

The error is: Property Node (arg 1) in VISA Configure Serial Port (Instr).vi

Once again:   1. executables built under Windows 7  work on a PC under Windows 7

2.executables built under Windows 8 do not work on a PC that has Windows 7  (VISA error)

source code is the same

Any suggestions what might be causing this are most welcome.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,614 Views)
What version of the VISA runtime is included with your installer? Do you also include MAX and can the port be viewed and configured there? Is the port a USB-Serial converter? Is its driver included and is it compatible with Windows 8?
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,586 Views)

It might possible that your window 7 is not showing that driver. Is it properly installed? Is it showing in device manager

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Kudos are always welcome if you got solution to some extent.

I need my difficulties because they are necessary to enjoy my success.
--Ranjeet
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,560 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author lvman9

An EXE that uses VISA needs to have the VISA run-time engine installed.  It is like not having drivers for your program.  Create an installer using the project similar to how you made an EXE.  Include the EXE in the installer, and under Additional Installers pick the software that is required by the EXE.  This is generally going to include the LabVIEW Run-Time engine, and VISA.  Starting in 2013 the additional installers will try to predict the software needed by the EXE.

Message 4 of 5
(2,527 Views)

Thank you all for your help and suggestions. I was able to get it running, reinstalling the run-time engine with the needed feautures  fixed the problem. I am glad that it was not due to the operating system, because I must use different operating systems for source code and for exe applications.

Message 5 of 5
(2,482 Views)