LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

polarity of a signal

Dear Friends,

How can be polarity of a signal determined?

Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,354 Views)

Polarity can be many things so you'll have to be a little more specific with your question.

Example of 'inversed polarity' or 'negative polarity'

- The two wires connecting a loudspeaker may have been swapped so the acoustic response to a positive impulse is negative (the membrane is moving backward)

- An active filter may use inverting op-amp configuration

So often you can detect whether the polarity of a system (not a signal) in inverted (negative) by applying a positive impulse to that system and look at the polarity of the response.

What's your use case?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,329 Views)

Hi 1085,

there's a sign function in the numerics palette… 😄

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,303 Views)

Yeah but it returns -1, 0 or +1 so how do you determine the polarity of its output? Smiley Frustrated

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,298 Views)

@LocalDSP wrote:

Yeah but it returns -1, 0 or +1 so how do you determine the polarity of its output? Smiley Frustrated

By reading the help file?  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,293 Views)

@1085 wrote:

Dear Friends,

How can be polarity of a signal determined?

Thank you.

Polarity in respect to what?

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,267 Views)

Thank you for your reply. How do I determine that signal is bipolar by using the sign function if the signal is bipolar?

Sincerely,

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,262 Views)

The signal has to basically be an array (otherwise it is just a number and it will be either +, -, or zero).  So among that array of numbers, you need to determine if some are positive and if some are negative.  I would use Array Max/Min.  Divide the Max by the Min.  If the resulting ratio is positive, then you know the signal is not bipolar, i.e. both the max and min are on the same side of zero.  If the resulting ratio is negative, then you know it must be bipolar.  Max is positive, the min is negative.

You could use the sign function acting on the array, then your results would be an array of +1's, 0's, and -1's.  You could do max and min on that.  But that is just another conversion step.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,256 Views)