From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

pointer changes to finger during delay

Hello,

I have a VI that uses a subpanel to load in different views based on the choices the user selects on a menu.

When the user makes the selections and clicks "OK", I use the "set busy" function to lock the cursor and display a spinning wheel.  When the code that loads the subpanel is finished and run, I use "unset busy".  This all works fine.

However, what I find in practice is that I make the selections and click OK.  The cursor changes to the spinning wheel for just a second as expected.  Then, when the panel is loaded, the cursor changes to the pointer finger, then about 10 seconds later it finally changes back to the standard cursor we know.

I cannot figure out why this is happening.  I even implemented a flat sequence structure and set the "unlock busy" as the sole entry in the final pane.

Maybe the way to ask the question is, what makes LabVIEW set the cursor to a pointer finger?

Thanks in advance.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,404 Views)

for what it's worth...it seems as though lots of the time, the moment the "unset busy" executes and the pointer becomes a finger, if I simply don't touch the mouse then it remains a finger for 4-10 seconds before finally changing to a pointer...but if I move the mouse, it immediately changes to a pointer...it's as though it's getting hung up after it unsets busy and needs me to move the mouse to snap out of it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,390 Views)

Hello bmishoe:

I was able to reproduce the issue with the pointer display. What happens here is that when the Unset Busy.VI is called it´s description states ´´Unset Busy VI Changes the appearance of the cursor on the front panel of a VI from a busy cursor to the default LabVIEW cursor....´´.

The default LabVIEW cursor in this case is the Operate Value (finger) cursor. The cursor waits for an action in this case moving the cursor to change, using the automatic tool selection option, to the required tool in this case the pointer. To avoid this I would recommend another Set Cursor.VI to select the cursor you want for the rest of the application and wire it after the Unset Busy.VI.

Regards,

Jose R

Application Engineering

Jose R
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,341 Views)