LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

plot absolute time

Hi,

I am reading data that contains date and time when the event occured and I need to plot that on xy chart in absolute time scale.
This is my example text line...

1/10/2007 3:51:53 PM Event Happened.....
1/10/2007 3:52:45 PM Event 2 happened....etc...

I searched other posts and couldn't find the right example...
Can someone please help me with some example? I really appreciate the help...

Thanks~!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,382 Views)
I know other posts have included similar cod but here is one way to convert a string to a timestamp. You convert all the time records to an array of timestamps and that is your x axis.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,374 Views)
Hi tgif,

Welcome to the wonderful world of log parsing.

LV doesn't like to graph categorical data (event 1, event 2) as well as it likes to graph continuous data (1, 2, 3... ).  This means that one possible solution is to convert your categorical data to numeric data.  The problem is, for that to work, you'll need to know at least most of your events in advance.

Be that as it may, there are some things that will make your life easier: your date/time stamp in your log should always be in the same place/format.  Your events should be easy to recognize (delimited with tabs or other unique characters, for instance).  Data corruption should be minimal (some log writers have real problems with that).

In any event, my version of sample code is attached.

Good luck (and <wave> to Dennis),

Joe Z.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,371 Views)

Thank you and Dennis very much for the kindly help. I can't imagine myself without this board. Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,367 Views)