From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

open g vi in project folder

Solved!
Go to solution

If I were using some open g vi, and I want to include those vi into my project folder, so that all my vi are under the same folder.  What is the best way of doing this?  Do I have to do a source distribution?  

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(3,074 Views)

I would recommend against that.  OpenG is a library that is easily installed with VIPM as packages.  Just leave them alone in the user.lib folder.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 13
(3,057 Views)
I agree. It would just make it harder to keep them up to date. You have VIs in vi.lib, instr.lib, etc.
Message 3 of 13
(3,050 Views)

@jyang72211 wrote:

If I were using some open g vi, and I want to include those vi into my project folder, so that all my vi are under the same folder.  What is the best way of doing this?  Do I have to do a source distribution?  

That is a bit scary.  VIs in the Open G Library can certainly be dependencies of a project.  Projects, of course "Depend" on dependencies. 

Now we get into HOW you want to use the tools!  As an example, I lately went into a new client, installed SVN and LabVIEW 2013, added, VIPM from the Getting Started Window and also installed the Viewpoint TSVN tool-kit, and the Open G libraries, and felt "I AM READY TO ROCK!" (It was a small project)

That set up my development enviornment.  Had I been working with multiple developers on that project .......... Either a VI Package or an SVN Repository OR a combination of them, would have allowed me to scale what and what scope of deployment was needed for libraries and components were appropriate for the development team without a claim that other tools were needed.  - For development!  (And really a "Source Distribution" is only there for a development reasons and,  their might be better options- since VIPM ships with LabVIEW I'll let Michael A. speak on the utility of Source Distro Builds and discuss if they are obsolete)

But, for Deployment.  ??? You should not need to add "Open G" to an app for a developed application, The VIs in the application are in the executable heirarachy. 

So, can you elaborate on the original question please?

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 4 of 13
(3,048 Views)

I do just that in a project, i include all vi's needed in the project (including user.lib and vi.lib) and do a source distribution. The point being that i only need the runtime on the target.

/Y

G# - Award winning reference based OOP for LV, for free! - Qestit VIPM GitHub

Qestit Systems
Certified-LabVIEW-Developer
Message 5 of 13
(3,032 Views)

/y

You do not need the source distro on the "target".

HOWEVER: When you are in a less regulated industry I have seen simillar things happen.  So, let us chat about what you need.  I promise I will not pick on y'all for best practices.  (Although.....) but, there are other solutions.   They are not always "Painless" but solutions exist.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(3,007 Views)

We can chat /Y

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(2,994 Views)

If all Vis are understand the same folder,  If the folder is moved to another location, it will contain everything a program needs, and no need to install anything.  I have seen this done, and I probably wont' do that, but I am just wondering what is the best way.  

------------------------------------------------------------------

Kudos and Accepted as Solution are welcome!
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(2,951 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author jyang72211

@jyang72211 wrote:

If all Vis are understand the same folder,  If the folder is moved to another location, it will contain everything a program needs, and no need to install anything.  I have seen this done, and I probably wont' do that, but I am just wondering what is the best way.  

The best way is to have OpenG installed on every LabVIEW develoment machine in the world...okay well maybe a little high hopes.

I understand the want to have easy portability and having a single folder with everything in it makes it easy for sure.  But I must recommend what others have suggested.  If you have a professional license of VIPM it makes it easier because you can perform an audit and have it scan which packages a project uses, and roll them all up into a single file.  Then when you want to move your project you take your folder of VIs, and this one configuration file (VIPC) and after installing the VIPC you can open your code and have it all not be broken.

Message 9 of 13
(2,943 Views)

@jyang72211 wrote:

What exactly do you mean by "another location"?  Another directory on the same computer?  Another computer?

It should be understood that if you are using a development tool for a project, then every machine that is developing that project should have the same tool(s) installed.

If it is the same machine, then there is no need to worry since user.lib is a central location.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 10 of 13
(2,917 Views)