LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

onboard device memory overflow

hi, I am a high school student just learning to use labview. I am trying to read 4 channels of voltage input at 10000 Hz each from a NI USB-6009, but i keep getting the error "Onboard device memory overflow". I have tried resetting the buffer size to be larger, and clearing the buffer periodically, but nothing will work. Does anyone know why i am getting this error, and how I could fix it? the USB-6009 should be able to sustain 48000 Hz sampling, with my four channels, i am only using 40000.

I have attached my code. The part that is giving me problems is on the left hand side, in the middle section. It has the DAQ Assistant.

Thanks in advance for any help

-Evan 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,821 Views)

Hi Evan,

I reviewed your code and it very clear, concise and well written.  When I ran the code on my computer, the program ran with no errors regarding device memory overflow.  So, try just placing a DAQ assistant and graph in a separate program to see if you can recreate the error with no post processing.  Use the same number of channels and sample rate as in your current program.  Also, try lowering the sampling rate to see if that solves your issue.  I know you may need the high sampling rate but this is something to try out. 

The link below addresses this issue and gives some reason as to why you may be experiencing this overflow error.

USB-6008/6009 Error -200361: Buffer Overflow Error

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/611475F9BE62881E86256FDC0062B1BB?OpenDocument
Regards,
Jordan F
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,784 Views)

Hi Jordan,

Thanks. I have since determined the cause of the problem, and it does indeed have to do with the USB data rate. The problem is that I am currently running Labview on Windows XP through a virtual machine on my mac (parallels 4), and when I attach the USB-6009 to the virtual machine, it only connects as a usb 1.1 device, instead of a 2.0 device. You are probably the wrong person to ask, but I might as well give it a shot - do you have any idea why parallels will not connect the 6009 as a 2.0 device? Parallels 4 supports USB 2.0, and even recognizes the 6009 as a 2.0 device (when I plug it in, it says "this device could perform faster if you plugged it into a hi-speed port. For a list of ports, click here"). However, it won't attach it to any of the virtual 2.0 ports! I'm stumped. Any ideas why? (I've posted on the parallels forum, but they are not being helpful)  

Thanks,

Evan 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,771 Views)