LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

ohmmeter

Hello,

So the probleme is how can we make our  6/2 multimeter an ohmeter? 

Here is the lab, it's the question b) of part1(it's in french).

Thank you ^^

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(1,092 Views)

Mon dieu.  We don't "do" homework for students (we did this years ago when we were students, and we learned how to code), so now we "return the favor" and say to students "Write some code, try it out, maybe it will work perfectly, but if it doesn't, come back here, ask your question about your code, and attach your code.  We generally appreciate actual code (meaning the .vi file), but since you might be using a more recent version of LabVIEW than some of us, you can also post a "picture" of your Block Diagram.

Bob Schor

Message 2 of 9
(1,081 Views)

I have to admit that the motive for urging you to do your own homework is a selfish one.  By doing your homework yourself (with us helping to answer your questions and even providing examples of individual concepts), I am helping myself by making it so that maybe I won't have to work with someone who is constantly asking me how to do their job.

The side effect is that you learn enough where you won't get fired because I am constantly complaining about your incompetence.

This is just a snarky way of saying, "Put in the time and effort to do the legwork.  You'll thank yourself later."  😄

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
Message 3 of 9
(1,044 Views)

Please be patient and forgiving with badnos, they were explicitly told by another forum member to open this thread and post the assignment in question. As far as I can tell, it is yet to be determined what the actual LabVIEW-related question is.

Message 4 of 9
(1,037 Views)

@badnos wrote:

Hello,

So the probleme is how can we make our  6/2 multimeter an ohmeter? 

Here is the lab, it's the question b) of part1(it's in french).

Thank you ^^

Please check if I understood Your question: You are doing a BACCALAURÉAT EN PHYSIQUE and this is a lab assignment Électroniques et mesures expérimentales, about second or third semester. So the lab probably wants you to get your hands on all kinds of equipment and gain some experience. It is probably not yet known which multimeter You will be given. You did have some previous LabVIEW experience, but this may be the first time where You are told to interface with some external device. So my guess at what the actual question is: "How can I >mettre le multimètre en mode ohmmètre à quatre fils<?", or "How can I set the multimeter into ohmmeter mode (using LabVIEW)?"

To which my answer would be: We cannot tell You, because the document does not tell which multimeter You are using. There are multimeters that can be remote controlled by LabVIEW. I guess it is expected that you just use the physical buttons on the multimeter and not use remote instrument settings. If You do know the model of multimeter, maybe You can find the instruction manual. In the manual, there may be instructions on how to do this from LabVIEW. If you don't know the model and You want to prepare for the lab, it might even help to look at the manual for a random brand bench multimeter online, they may be similar enough to give You an idea on what to expect.

Message 5 of 9
(1,028 Views)

Hello;

Yes this is my question! the multimeter model is Agilent 34401A.

Thank you for your response

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(986 Views)

Hello,

if i wasn't ask to open this thread and post the assignment in question by another forum member, i wontt do it.

Yes, i agree with what you said,it's really bad to work with those kind of persons,,but my aim wasn't that you do my homework for me. If i choosed to study, i choosed to understand things on my own and being able to master what i learned. but in this class, labview is just a tool that we use on the basic level to save data of the experiments, and I never had any labview class in the past (it's literally my first time that i am knowing his existence). So i am asking you to learn not to give my work to another person. (don't put me with this people pls)

thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(984 Views)

My suggestion is to use the learn LabVIEW resources linked at the top of the forums page to at least get a basic understanding.

You can also open LabVIEW and select Help>>Find Examples. When the NI Example Finder opens select the Search tab and enter "DMM" in the keyword field. You should scroll down and see examples for the Agilent 34401 hardware. Study them for ideas. I don't use LabVIEW 2020 but I believe they are still there. If not use VIPM to download and install the Agilent 34401 LabVIEW driver and search for those examples. 

Now Using LabVIEW 2019SP1 and TestStand 2019
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(979 Views)

@badnos wrote:
[...] in this class, labview is just a tool that we use on the basic level to save data of the experiments, and I never had any labview class in the past (it's literally my first time that i am knowing his existence).

If this is the first contact with LabVIEW in your degree program, I believe that there will be some introduction in its use, maybe even a prepared example program where You only change a few variables and run it. If You were to put me in front of a multimeter I've never used talking a protocol I've never used, it would probably take the better part of a day to get everything up and running: The manual on the 34401A is about 250 pages, about 100 of them dealing with remote control specification. That seems a bit intense for first contact with LabVIEW in an undergrad lab.

If You want to prepare for the lab, I would recommend following the advice from @GovBob and check out some training resources. From what You have told us, I think that the NI Apps "Getting Started with LabVIEW" Video Playlist will be an excellent match for what will be happening in the lab.

As for the initial question: I guess You do not have access to LabVIEW right now, so viewing the code examples might be tricky. Instead, let me summarise some key topics: The Agilent 34401A can be remotely controlled by sending and receiving text-based commands over a connector cable (I guess You will be using the RS-232 port with a USB adapter). There are many programs You can then use to open a text interface over such a connection. If You know the protocol specification for the 34401A (which, as the manual states, may be a form of SCPI), You can then manually send and receive commands and data. If You don't know the protocol, You can use programming libraries (that one may call "drivers") that automate the tedious steps and give You simple functions to, e.g. Start Connection -> Set Mode to Ohmmeter -> Measure and Return Data. This might then look like here https://forums.ni.com/t5/Discussions-au-sujet-des-autres/pilotage-agilent-34401a/td-p/1952801 where one such driver is discussed.

Best of luck!

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(939 Views)