From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

myRIO measuring rs 257-133 flow measurement

Solved!
Go to solution

Hi,

Hoping to get help with an issue I'm having. I'm a labview beginner and I'm trying to get flow readings from an RS 257-133 flow meter through a myRIO. I have created a VI that measures the pulses from the turbine through an encoder by counting them. I need to convert this to an outputted flow rate in labview, so I need to measure the frequency. I built on an existing myrio encoder VI from the "myRIO project essentials guide" and I thought maybe inputting the count from the encoder into the express vi "timing and transition measurements" might do it but it does not. Like I said I'm a beginner so have just been trying different things in the hope I get lucky. I've attached the VI I'm working on.  Would anyone know how to do this? Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(777 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author johnlr

Hi johnlr,

@johnlr wrote:

I thought maybe inputting the count from the encoder into the express vi "timing and transition measurements" might do it but it does not. Like I said I'm a beginner so have just been trying different things in the hope I get lucky.

To know a pulse frequency you need to know the number of pulse measured within a period of time.

Your loop is already set to iterate at a certain period of time. Now all you need is the number of pulse within that time: it's the difference between previous count and actual count!

Like this:

Edit: there's a small bug, you need to divide that "10ms" by 1000 instead of multiplying to get "0.01s"…

Best regards,
GerdW

using LV2016/2019/2021 on Win10/11+cRIO, TestStand2016/2019
Message 2 of 4
(769 Views)

Hi GerdW,

Thank you so much for your help. Your solution got me the pulse frequency and then I managed to convert that to a flow rate. I now have the Labview reading the flow meter and giving a calculated flow rate.

Thank you very much again!

johnlr

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(724 Views)
  • Hello sir, Can you show me the schematics, diagram circuit or picture connection of RS 257-133 please ? Thank you.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(402 Views)