LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

min & max control limits properties

When I set the minimum & maximum properties on one numeric control, I noticed that all my numeric controls now have the same value settings.  This happens even if I add a new numeric control to the VI.  Is this normal behavior for Labview 8.6.1?  How do I have numeric controls with different limit settings from each other?

Thanks,

Ron

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,942 Views)

Get more info here and here.

CAR# 147435 was created for this issue. Thanks again for posting your findings, all of your contributions help.

Will S.
National Instruments
Applications Engineer

PS - or here.

PPS - first!

Message Edited by jcarmody on 03-15-2009 07:22 PM
Jim
You're entirely bonkers. But I'll tell you a secret. All the best people are. ~ Alice
For he does not know what will happen; So who can tell him when it will occur? Eccl. 8:7

Message 2 of 9
(3,940 Views)

There is a recently discovered bug in LV 8.6.1 about this.  See here.

The controls can have different limits, but there is a bug in the dialog box that makes it look like they are all the same.

Message 3 of 9
(3,938 Views)

Ravens Fan wrote:

There is a recently discovered bug in LV 8.6.1 about this.  See here.

The controls can have different limits, but there is a bug in the dialog box that makes it look like they are all the same.

That's not true on my install of 8.6.1.   The limits set in one numeric control coerce the others.  When I set the maximum on one front panel numeric control to 5, the other (that I have previoiusly set to 65535), cannot be incremented past 5.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,795 Views)

JerryR wrote:

That's not true on my install of 8.6.1.   The limits set in one numeric control coerce the others.  When I set the maximum on one front panel numeric control to 5, the other (that I have previoiusly set to 65535), cannot be incremented past 5.

Are you sure?  Check the limits on the controls by sending the data range max and min property nodes to indicators.  That will tell you what the min and max range truly is on that control.  If you still feel that is not the case, then please post your VI that you are using to demonstrate this.

By the way, this appears to have been fixed with 8.6.1f1.  See here. http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/765EBEBE6568CB098625756700718B66

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,782 Views)

Ravens Fan wrote:

Are you sure?  Check the limits on the controls by sending the data range max and min property nodes to indicators.  That will tell you what the min and max range truly is on that control.  If you still feel that is not the case, then please post your VI that you are using to demonstrate this.

By the way, this appears to have been fixed with 8.6.1f1.  See here. http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/allkb/765EBEBE6568CB098625756700718B66

After some experimentation, I found that it was true for THAT install of LV.  When one (U8) control maximum was changed to 0x0F, a U16 control maxed out at 0x0F.  I tried the VI on another PC, and the controls work as described - each with its own limit, although the dialog boxes are faulty.  After uninstalling and reinstalling LV on the first PC, it worked.

Thank you!

...jerry

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,737 Views)

Hi,

I've got a problem which seems to be similiar to this one using labView 2009 SP1. 

The attached vi illustrates perfectly my problem. I programmatically change the limits properties but they aren't applied.

Is there a bug or is there another way to do this?

Thanks

James 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,503 Views)

No bug.  That is normal behavior.  The limit functions only apply to user entry into the control, not programmatically setting the value.

Read the detailed help for the Data Entry page on the control.  (I made the important part red and bold.)

• Response to value outside limits: Minimum—Sets how to handle the numeric value the user enters if that value is out of the specified numeric range. Valid values include Ignore and Coerce.
  • Response to value outside limits: Maximum—Sets how to handle the numeric value the user enters if that value is out of the specified numeric range. Valid values include Ignore and Coerce.
  •  

If you need to programatically set the value and also have it be coerced, then you need to pass your value through the In Range and coerce function before writing it to the value property node.

Message 8 of 9
    (3,469 Views)

ok.

Its not the answer I was hoping but thanks anyway  😉

0 Kudos
    Message 9 of 9
    (3,452 Views)