From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

migrating code from windows to linux

Hi, 

I am looking for a solution or method to migrate labview code developed in windows platform into Linux platform. The thing is we have developed instrument driver code in Windows platform and have used VISA as well for communication purposes. I've come to know about some method for such porting to follow as the project file of ours contains vi.lib stuff as well. We do have a license for both Windows and Linux versions of Labview.

Please suggest me any solution to do such porting into Linux platform if someboy have come across such things.

Thanks in Advance,

Vivek 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(2,979 Views)

If you've created an instrument driver with nothing but VISA functions and followed the guidelines, then I don't think you will have to do a thing. To check, just copy the driver project over to the Linux box and open it up.

'Some' vi.lib stuff is pretty vague but you can check the help to see if anything is windows only.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(2,969 Views)

Hi Dennis,

We have already tried that method. I created an exe for the driver, installed in the linux platform and suprisingly it got installed. But then labview gets crashed once I open any of the driver code. It allows me take driver VI as a SubVI but labview crashes if I try to open driver code. I thought it may be the vi.lib issue and hence posted the issue.

Please suggest me the way of porting and thanks for your valuable suggestion.

Thanks in Advance,

Vivek

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(2,956 Views)

You could try opening the code itself in linux platform and build the executable there.

try avoiding the build from windows <-> linux .

Might have OS dependencies.

Sundar.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(2,949 Views)

An instrument driver is not an exe. Why don't you simply use the source code like all other instrument drivers?

No exe created on windows will run on a different OS.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(2,939 Views)

Thanks guys for quick responses. I really appreciate your support. I tried the way you mentioned. I copied all my code into the linux system. Created new project file but again same problem occurs, labview is crashing because of VISA.

Why I am sure about the VISA is because I tried to open/create new VI in linux using VISA API's and all are creating trouble and further it leads labview to crash.

Rest all other functions in labview are working fine. Hope all my assumptions are correct and could blame VISA for creating problems.

Please do suggest us ...

Thanks in Advance,

Vivek

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(2,925 Views)
This is really a different problem than originally stated. If VISA functions do not work at all on your Linux install, then you might want to post a new question with details on what version of LabVIEW, what version of NI-VISA, and which version of Linux you are using.
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(2,921 Views)

Yes Dennis,

The pictures are becoming clear based on your valuable support only and hence posted a new message as well. Initially I thought of vi.lib issues only and hence looking out for making our driver independent from platform.

Thanks,

Vivek

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(2,900 Views)