From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

memory consumption indication

Solved!
Go to solution

How we can observe the physical memory consumed by the code running on windows?

There is a way to see the processor performance by using windows task manager, but what about the memory?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,837 Views)
Isn't "PF Usage" an indication of memory use? I'm at 650MB right now..... open LabVIEW, now 703MB. You can detect memory leaks with it as well.
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(2,821 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author pritam

There's also the LabVIEW Performance Monitor (assuming you have the Professional version of LabVIEW). Tools -> Profile -> Performance and Memory.

There's also the Windows Performance Monitor which allows you to select specific apps and threads. Tons of information there. 

Message 3 of 7
(2,803 Views)
The default Windows Task Manager will show the amount of memory consumed by a particular process.  However, it is not shown by default.  Launch the Task Manager and select the Processes tab - this is where memory use is shown.  Click View->Select Columns and check Memory Usage and Virtual Memory Size.  Hit OK and you should see Mem Usage and VM Size show up as columns.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,782 Views)
Are you trying to programatically obtain total system memory usage and processor usage to display on the front panel or do you just want to know how much memory a specific VI is using? If you're trying to display/determine the total memory/cpu usage on a PC, you can use .NET preformance counter. I can help you with that if you wish. If you want to get total RT memory usage I can also help you with that.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,774 Views)

sgregor249 wrote:
If you're trying to display/determine the total memory/cpu usage on a PC, you can use .NET preformance counter.

You can also use the built-in System Monitor, as I showed in this example.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,769 Views)

"pritam" <x@no.email> wrote in message
news:1238065821265-878499@exchange.ni.com...
> How we can observe the physical memory consumed by the code running on
windows?There is a way to see the processor performance by using windows
task manager, but what about the memory?

As mentioned, you can use task manager. There is also a tool called
Performance Monitor in Windows. In Vista, it's in control panel>performance
information and tools>advanced tools>reliability and performance monitor.

In win2k and vista, you can also start it by typing "perfmon" from the run..
tool (command line).

In the tool you can add counters per process or per thread. Every kind of
performance can be mesured, from CPU and memory, to nr. of network access
and open handles.

I think you can also make it log your data, but I can't find it in vista
anymore...

Regards,

Wiebe.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,750 Views)