LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

mathscript node + VISA READ

Hi there,

I am still fairly new to LabVIEW but I have a few questions about using the MathScript Node module.  I want to know if I would be able to use the MathScript Node for my current application.  My application involves reading data being streamed serially to the computer from a microcontroller and presenting a graphical display of this data (the data is being streamed serially using UART communication protocol).  Now the data that is being streamed to the computer is coming from multiple channels (4 different channels to be precise).  I need to sort the data as it is being streamed to the computer and place each data point to the respective graph (i.e. data from channel 1 would need to be graphed on graph #1).  In the examples I saw they never demonstrated using the MathScript Node to analyze data that is being read via VISA READ.  I want to know if it is possible to use the MathScript node in conjunction with the VISA READ to analyze the and process the data as it is being streamed to the computer.

I am pretty sure I could do this without using the MathScript Node, but I am more comfortable and proficient using MATLAB and thus I would like to know if it is possible to do this.

If someone would be able to give me some reassurance and an example of how to setup the block diagram for this application, it would be greatly appreciated.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,196 Views)

Everything you have described can be done with LabVIEW, and probably a whole lot easier than in MathScript. What kind of analysis are you trying to do that you believe you need to resort to MathScript/Matlab?

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,187 Views)

I understand that it can be done in LabVIEW, however I want to know if it is also possible to be done using the MathScript Node.  The whole point of me using the MathScript Node, is that I am more comfortable and proficient in using MATLAB, as I have only recently started using LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,183 Views)

Probably in five minutes you could convert the output strings to numbers, combine them into clusters of data points and display the traces all at once on a graph/strip chart?

[Edit] If you knew how slowly I type, LabVIEW is definitely the better choice for me.  But if you type at a normal speed, then maybe not so much for you.  😉

Bill
CLD
(Mid-Level minion.)
My support system ensures that I don't look totally incompetent.
Proud to say that I've progressed beyond knowing just enough to be dangerous. I now know enough to know that I have no clue about anything at all.
Humble author of the CLAD Nugget.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,177 Views)

@Kevin khan wrote:

I understand that it can be done in LabVIEW, however I want to know if it is also possible to be done using the MathScript Node.  The whole point of me using the MathScript Node, is that I am more comfortable and proficient in using MATLAB, as I have only recently started using LabVIEW.

Then why don't you just do the whole thing in Matlab? You still haven't described what this "analysis" is that you need to do that you believe you can only do proficiently in MathScript/Matlab.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,170 Views)