cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

listbox menu selection

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello,

I'm trying to do something similar to this.  I want to have a listbox with all my parameter categories and when I select a category in the left listbox, the parameters appear in the right side.  How can I do that?

Thank you,

application menu.png

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,675 Views)

Use an event structure. Respond to the "Value Change" event for the listbox. Then, you can load the appropriate contents for the right-hand part. You can use separate clusters and hide/unhide the appropriate one, or you can use subpanels. Event structures are explained in the LabVIEW Help, and examples ship with LabVIEW. Subpanels are also explained in the LabVIEW Help and examples ship with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,657 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

Use an event structure. Respond to the "Value Change" event for the listbox. Then, you can load the appropriate contents for the right-hand part. You can use separate clusters and hide/unhide the appropriate one, or you can use subpanels. Event structures are explained in the LabVIEW Help, and examples ship with LabVIEW. Subpanels are also explained in the LabVIEW Help and examples ship with LabVIEW.

I tought of the hide/unhide but I wanted to have a better solution than this one. I will check for subpannel.  I never used them.  Thanks for the tips.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,648 Views)

I often use invisible Tabs in cases like this.  Subpanels are nice and extensible, Tabs are nice and easy with fewer SubVIs to carry around.

I use a Classic Tab, adjust the different pages, and when I am finished I hide the Tabs and color everything Transparent. 

Message 4 of 12
(3,642 Views)

@Darin.K wrote:

I often use invisible Tabs in cases like this.  Subpanels are nice and extensible, Tabs are nice and easy with fewer SubVIs to carry around.

I use a Classic Tab, adjust the different pages, and when I am finished I hide the Tabs and color everything Transparent. 

I better like this solution as I don't need to create a subvi for every parameter categories.  But the only thing that I don't like, it that I cannot put a tab control in a cluster.  I need to put it in a cluster as I want to save the parameters in an xml file.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,634 Views)

Just to point out, the example you have shown is actually programmed in LabVIEW using sub panels, so someone at NI thought this was a good idea!

I have used sub panels before for this kind of thing, but with invisible tabs you dont need to worry about getting the data back to your main VI.

As for the tab control issue, you need to display your controls as individual elements so you can put them on different tab pages, and then bundle them into the cluster on the block diagram.  Be sure to create a type def. for the cluster and use bundle by name, less mistakes and more flexible!

Michael

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,623 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author sppelletier

You can go here and download an example I posted.

edit: Or here it is...

Richard

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,565 Views)

@broken Arrow wrote:

You can go here and download an example I posted.

edit: Or here it is...

Thank you,

I will try to do it that way.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,526 Views)

hi,

I am alsp working with a list box...n facin somewhat samre prob...think ur example wud b og grt help to me....but i could not open this VI coz m usin the version labview 7...is der anyother way to c that VI...?

thanx

saki

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,272 Views)

Could you please repost your question using the English language?

Text message shortcuts are not an appropriate form of communication for a professional forum.

A plea for full words

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,265 Views)