LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

learn object oriented programming

Hello,

I am using LabView to create control and measurement systems in the last 4 years, mainly small and middle sized projects (DAQmx, GPIB, PID control, monitoring and data logging, mainly using Producer/consumer structures with queues and notifiers + user events, and massive type def clusters).

About a year ago I decided to start to learn OOP for LabView via the official video material from NI. My background was ANSI C before LabView, so for me OOP still feels very abstract, even though I understand (or I think I do 🙂 ) some of the main principles already.

When I started to go through the NI learning material for OOP, I had a feeling after a while like this is a bit too deep water and too much general info was compressed into the material...

I wonder if you know other learning resources, where I could learn and see some smaller steps toward OOP? Like how to deal with large type def clusters in my existing applications, etc... (migrate to classes and objects)? I have the feeling, I could digest OOP much better at the beginning, if I could implement some basic OOP techniques in my existing codes...

Thanks for advice!

EDIT: I have found this post very interesting, and a bit related to my question:

http://forums.ni.com/t5/LabVIEW/What-is-your-tolerance-for-placing-things-into-clusters/td-p/2871992

Hmm, maybe on that size which applications I make, I just do not need the oop...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,420 Views)

One quote I use often (usually during initial introduction to each client) is 

"It is far easier to teach a software engineer LabVIEW development than it is to teach a LabVIEW developer software engineering."

"A software engineering approach to LabVIEW" is a book I read first many years ago before LVOOP existed.  I found it enlightening.  just because you use classes does not mean your code is better.  In fact, I would say that unless you are familliar with proper code patterns (and can recognize anti-patterns) you will almost certainly make your code worse by casting the mistakes you make today into a programming paradigm you are less familliar with.

"Should be" isn't "Is" -Jay
Message 2 of 5
(2,408 Views)

sounds right 🙂

Thanks for the idea, I will check this book also.

regards,

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,398 Views)

I highly recommend this book to LabVIEW programmers. The authors explain oop concepts in language that even I could understand and grasp

after many years of just not getting it.!

((There may actually be a free copy out there somewhere if you look hard enough) Even if it is not free It is definately worth the investment.)

Design Patterns Explained: A New Perspective on Object-Oriented Design (2nd Edition) (Software Patterns Series) [Kindle Edition] 

Shalloway

Trott

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,369 Views)

If you're going to be at NIWeek, I can make a suggestion...

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
Message 5 of 5
(2,348 Views)