cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

lakeshore temperature controller

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello Forum,

I downloaded the drivers for the Lakeshore 331 temperature controller and am trying to implement it, without success. (I'm getting a time out error at my VISA Read function). So, I used my Basic Serial Write and Read.vi to test whether the cables and ports are working properly by simply writing to the controller '*IDN?\r\n'. Instead of getting back the expected 'LSCI, MODEL 332S, 332603, 112002', I get the garbeled response shown in the file attached. The read message contains exactly the right number of bits, so I know that my computer is able to communicate with the controller. But why can it not reply in an intelligible language? Is this due to an error in my computer or labview settings or with the controller? Furthermore, is this why I cannot operate the driver.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

L 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,965 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author luiz_iniciante

This generally happens when the settings for your serial port and those on the device don't match. Make sure that you are using the same settings (BAUD rate, stop bits, parity, etc.) on both sides of the connection.

Mark Yedinak
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"Does anyone know where the love of God goes when the waves turn the minutes to hours?"
Wreck of the Edmund Fitzgerald - Gordon Lightfoot
Message 2 of 4
(2,960 Views)

Thanks Mark, it worked.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,939 Views)

Hi, I'm even not able to get the connection between my PC and the LakeShore 331? Using the same "Basic Serial Write and Read.vi" to test whether the cables and ports are working properly. Sending *IDN?\r\n , I don't get anything? The vi goes at the end and doesn't read anything. That it's?

Any suggestion?

By the way, what is the type of the cable you use? Standard RS322 DB9 connection or any special one?

Thanks.. 😉

Vids

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,766 Views)