LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview executable installer cannot find windows favorites

When attempting to install an LabVIEW executable, using the Installer created with LabVIEW, before copying any files or making any changes to the local PC, the setup.exe queries for the location ‘My Favorites’ from the registry (HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Explorer\User Shell Folders\Favorites). If this has been moved to a mapped network drive, the setup will error saying that it is unable to access this location. Using Sysinternals Process Monitor, the setup.exe process does not try accessing this location.

Thanks in advance for any help

Inigo Rotzer

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,700 Views)

So what is the problem that you are seeing? You can install on a machine you shouldn't? Can't install on a machine you should? Something else?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,671 Views)

The installer fails to install the LabVIEW executable. We cannot install on a machine were we shoul be able to install.

Thanks

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,649 Views)
I don't know why this requirement should exist, but the installer apparently needs the favorites folder to not be on a network folder. If for some reason you need to have that folder mapped to a network drive, I guess you could change it, install the executable, and then change it back.

But why have favorites mapped like that in the first place?

Mike...

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(2,640 Views)

@mikeporter wrote:

But why have favorites mapped like that in the first place?

Possible reasons:

1) Internal IT procedures

2) floating user account setups across the entire network

It's not uncommon to do these things but I have found to many problems with this also outside of LabVIEW to find it a practical solution.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(2,606 Views)