LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview executable does not open excel...

i just compiled labview code into an executable and when i run the executable, it does not open an excel document like it is supposed to.  it opens the excel program, but not the specific file stipulated in the code. the problem only exists on one of my computers.  the "problem computer" is being set up for the first time to run labview executables.

thanks in advance for the help.

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 8
(3,637 Views)

I don't know how much help we can give considering all we have is a basic description of the problem, but nothing showing us how you are trying to do this in code.

Where is this "specific file" located?  Since it doesn't work in only one PC, my guess is that you have a path problem.  The file isn't where it is expected to be.  Do you have any error handling in your code?  Can you put some error indicators on the functions do the Excel and file opening?  That will show you where and why the problem is occuring.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 8
(3,618 Views)

thanks for the reply.  to answer your questions:

1.  the specific excel file is on my companies server.  and is simply a template that gets filled with test data, real time.

2.  the odd part is that the executable is able to open the excel document on two other computers, but i cant get it to work on a third.  btw, this third computer has newly being set up to run executables. 

3.  i'll try adding error indicators.

thank you for the feedback.

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 8
(3,608 Views)

How are you trying to open the Excel file?  Is it through ActiveX methods?  Is it the same version of Excel on the non-working PC as it is on the working versions?

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 8
(3,602 Views)

The problem machine has excel 2010 and the working machines have excel 2007.  i'll probably try to change it back to 2007 on the problem machine.

I am using active X icons in the code.

I am also downloading labview software updates.

To get a computer to be capable of running labview executables, what are the steps i need to follow? 

Thank you,

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 8
(3,565 Views)

That is probably the reason.  Microsoft is notorious for the way they change their activeX components between office versions.

At the minimum, you need to install the LabVIEW runtime engine on the other PC.  It needs to be the same version as the version of LabVIEW you developed in.  You can either search the NI website and download and install the run-time engine, or you can create an installer for your application from the development PC that will include the run-time engine.

You may need some other run-time engines such as VISA or DAQmx if your application is using any of those functions.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 8
(3,562 Views)

all machines are running excel 2007, and have windows 7 as the operating system.  one of the 3 machines only opens excel when running an my executable, but not the excel file itself.  the other two open the correct excel file. 

i've downloaded the latest runtime engine on the problem machine.

no luck so far.  does anyone know of something else i could try?

thanks in advance,

Erik

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 8
(3,467 Views)

Dear Erik,

I would try the office package in LanBIEW.

If the add on works propperly than your Active-X Interface in definately the problem.

AFAIK you can try the office package for 30 days.

This might be helpfull.

You never know what MS is doing..

Kind regards

Martin

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 8
(3,442 Views)