From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview USB6009 DAQ to program digital potentiometer

Hi all, 

I am trying to use Labview 2009 Student Edition and a USB6009 DAQ device to program a digital potentiometer: MAX5386LATE+ http://datasheet.octopart.com/MAX5386LATE%2B-Maxim-datasheet-8528562.pdf

From the datasheet, I see that it needs 3 inputs in order to change the resistance: 

1) Clock in

2) Data read enable

3) The bits that correspond to wiper position (resistance)

Roughly, what I want to do is program three digital outputs of the USB6009 so that it can connect to those three pins of the digital potentiometer.  I want to change the potentiometer's wiper position so that it has three distinctive resistances, lets just say 30 Ohm, 330 Ohm, and 3.3 kOhm (just for an example).  Also I want the potentiometer to change to those resistances periodically.  I.e. start at 30 ohm and change to the next one after 30 seconds and then the next one after another 30 seconds and then back to 30 Ohm again.

Can anyone give me a general hint as to how I should go about doing this?  What modules/programming techniques should I look into for this application?

Thanks, 

Kevin

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(2,930 Views)

Hi Kevin,

In trying to accomplish this task, the USB 6009 is not capable of generating periodic signals. Below is a reference to the specifications of that device.

NI USB-6008/6009 User Guide and Specifications

http://digital.ni.com/manuals.nsf/websearch/7781F8E689519ED786257411006FB09F

Based on the information you have provided, you will need a device capable of pulse train generation which requires at least 2 counters. There are different variations of hardware we offer that can do this depending on other factors including resolution, frequency, and form factor. You can view and compare these devices at ni.com/daq.

Have a great day,

Jordan

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(2,905 Views)