LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

labview 6 problem

When I try to Run Labview 6, it always comes out Error 37, which seems related to Error I32 and out ref on computer? How can I solve this problem. I am looking forward to help. Thanks in advance.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,531 Views)
Can you provide more detail?

Does the error happen (1) if you try to start up plain LabVIEW 6.0, (2) if you try to open a particular VI, or (3) if you try to run a particular VI?

Can you give the full text of the error message? What is your operating system?

(For cases (2), and (3), attach the offending VI).
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,520 Views)
Labview can be started up. When I tried to run continuously a particular VI, Error 37 was turned out.  Error 37: device not found.

I are running Win XP .
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,508 Views)

...then tell us a bit more about that VI. What does it do? Who wrote it? Do you mind attaching it?

(Are you saying you actually use the "Run Continuously" button to run your VI?)

Message 4 of 12
(3,499 Views)
Hi Cuiling,
please read Altenbach's  post carefully, it would really help, that you give more details. What device could it be? Do you open a reference to the device and close it afterwards? Why do you run the VI continuously, this is actually useful only for debug- cases. Put a while loop around your code (except initialization & finalization code). Attach your VI or make a screenshot of the BD. This would improve our ability to help.

Greets, Dave

P.S. He's quite fast, this is related to the first post of Altenbach

Message Edited by daveTW on 09-12-2006 09:20 PM

Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,498 Views)

Thanks, Altenbach and Dave!

Sorry about the post.

Honestly, I am not familiar with Labview 6. Basically, we use Labview 6 to control laser power supply through serial ports on extended serial card. Before opening Labview, we first open nanojoy software which controls Laser manipulator and joysticker. Both of them are connected to the extended serial card.

Yes, we use "Run continuously" button. After starting Labview 6, under Spectra physics Laser Control window, click "Continuous Run" button, then press "initialize serial port", then turn "Diode ON/OFF" switch to ON. That's the way we use VI. But when I click "Continuous Run" button, it was turned out to be " Error 37: device not found".

We tried to use Hypertermianl , it didnot work either.

Thanks for the help.

Cuiling

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,486 Views)
If this program was provided with the laser, maybe you should contact them. This does not seem to a problem with LabVIEW per se, but with the provided code.

Did it ever work before, or is this a new installation? Could it be you are using the wrong serial port?

Do you have access to the  block diagram of the program or is it passworded? Hit "ctrl+e" when the VI is not running. Anything?

If the program instructions require you to run the program using the "Run Continuously" button, it seems that not a lot of thought and time went into the code development and it is probably buggier than an ant farm. 😞 WIthout seeing the code, it is impossible to tell.
Message 7 of 12
(3,475 Views)
Yes, it worked before. We moved the lab, reinstalled Window XP and labVIEW. After that, it worked a few times. We tried to connect to different serial port. it didnot help.Sorry, I donot know about the provided code you mentioned. I can access the block diagram.
I attached the labview program we used.

Message Edited by Cuiling on 09-12-2006 04:27 PM

Message Edited by Nick C on 09-19-2006 03:47 PM

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,484 Views)
It worked before. We reinstalled WinXP and everything. After that, it worked a  few times. we tried to connect through different serial port. Nothing helps. Sorry, I donot know the provided code you mention in the post. I can access the block diagram. I attached the Spectra-Phaysics Laser control program. Password is "opensesame" Cuiling

Message Edited by Nick C on 09-19-2006 03:48 PM

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,466 Views)
Hi Cuiling,
it is very hard to read the block diagram, it's a mess. But after a first glance I see, that the serial port is hard coded to COM1. Also the serial device is opened several times in one VI-Run when you press one of the Check... - buttons. This can cause problems, e.g. this error message.
It is recommended to close a device after opening and using it. This is never done in this VI. But I suppose this is not necessary in this "Continuous-Run"- scenario, because LabView closes sessions automatically after aborting execution. But I don't know exactly.
Since you say this VI worked already, I guess a change of computer configuration could cause your problems. Did you change the Version of LabView? Was the VI created with a former version? Did you change the OS? Perhaps older versions (of OS and LV) are more tolerant to those bad coding.

Greets, Dave
Greets, Dave
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(3,437 Views)