From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

isolated unbalanced input

In terms of data aquisitioin:

I think I understand a single ended input (unbalanced?)

I think I understand a diferential input (balanced?, but amp internal ground may be connected to external ground)

I think I understanded a diferential isolated input

(please

differential

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(2,673 Views)
In terms of data aquisitioin:

I think I understand a single ended input (unbalanced?).

I think I understand a diferential input (balanced?, but amp internal ground may be connected to external ground).

I think I understanded a diferential isolated input.

(please see attached)

What is an "unbalanced isolated input"?  especially terms of the gorunding relationship.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(2,672 Views)
Weel maybe I'm just a little slow.  Mr. Lockhart answered my questioned (who, by the way, happens to have some of the best USB AC Data Aq. for the buck -- a shameless plug for helping me)

Single-ended. An unbalanced input, non isolated. Not suitable for off-ground measurements. Very inexpensive.

Differential. A balanced input, non-isolated. Suitable for off-ground measurements provided that the sum of the common mode and normal mode voltages remains within the measurement range of the amplifier.

Single-ended, floating common. An isolated and quasi-balanced input (the floating common is typically connected to the (-) input of a differential amplifier). Suitable for off-ground measurements up to the breakdown voltage of the isolation barrier, and exhibits very good common mode rejection (100 db typical).

Differential, floating common. An, isolated and balanced input. Suitable for off-ground measurements to the breakdown voltage of the isolation barrier, and exhibits superb common mode rejection (>120 db).

For most industrial application that require isolation, the single-ended floating design provides the best price/performance.

Roger W. Lockhart
DATAQ Instruments, Inc.
241 Springside Dr
Akron, OH 44333
USA
Phone: (330) 668-1444 Ext. 200
Fax: (330) 666-5434
Email: rlockhart@dataq.com
web: http://www.dataq.com
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(2,656 Views)