From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

intensity plot

Solved!
Go to solution

Hey,

I'm new to labview and am hoping someone can help me. I am trying to make an intensity plot of scatter plot data. I want to take data from a scatter plot, and in an intensity plot of the same area, show, record the data per one by one grid square. I hope that's not too confusing.

Please help!

Sam

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(4,508 Views)

Hi stm,

From what I understand from your question,the below attachment will be helpful.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks as kudos only:)
Message 2 of 13
(4,495 Views)

Also,See this discussion related to scatter plot

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks as kudos only:)
Message 3 of 13
(4,492 Views)

An intensity graph works on a 2D array that forms a regular grid.

Basically, you start out with a 2D array of the correct size filled with NaN. Keep it in a shift register and replace points at the correct location with your real data.

A fancy way for a more complex problem is shown here. It would be easy to adapt it to your problem.

@stm719 wrote:

I want to take data from a scatter plot, and in an intensity plot of the same area, show, record the data per one by one grid square. I hope that's not too confusing.

I fact this is very confusing. So is the final data actually arranged in a rectangular grid, or is it scattered irregularly?

If the data is scattered randomly, you could use interpolate_2d_scattered to map the data to a regular grid.

Message 4 of 13
(4,480 Views)

I think I can explain this a little more clearly. Let's say I have a ten by ten scatter plot, And I wanted to focus on a one by one area to test. I want to know when I have 10 points in that one by one square so I know that I have enough data.

Thanks,

Sam

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(4,462 Views)

Can you explain it graphically?

I don't know what you mean by "scatter plot", "one by one area", "points", and how it all fits together in your particular problem. Thanks.

Are you trying to do a 2d histogram?

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(4,445 Views)

graph.PNG

So if I had a plot like this, I would like to know when each square fills up with a set amount of points. For the testing that I'm doing it would be really helpful to have a visual of when each area has enough useable data so I can stop testing that area and get more data in the empty areas. If you look at the squares I have "highlighted" the one on the left would be full, the one in the middle would be close, and the one on the right would be empty. It would be really helpfull to have an intensity plot of the same size that shows what areas have enough data, and which ones do not.

Thanks,

Sam 

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(4,439 Views)

Keep a second integer array of the same dimension in a second shift register and increment the corresponding element by one whenever a point is added.

Message 8 of 13
(4,436 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author stm719

Here's a quick example that keep track of the counts in each bin. You could do a comparison on the 2D array (e.g. >10) and convert the resulting boolean array to (0,1) for a simple "sufficient/not sufficient" indicator. See attached (LabVIEW 8.5)

Message 9 of 13
(4,433 Views)

Ok, I have to wait untill monday to try it because I dont have the program on my computer at home. Thank you for your help!

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(4,425 Views)