LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

installer looking for .alias file

I'm used to creating installers with 7.1.  Now with 8.2.1 I am having trouble - when I include the exe that I built (say 'test.exe') it automatically wants to include 'test.alias' also.  I do not know how to create this file and I am not able to remove the .alias file from the installer's list of files to include.  So the installer fails as it cannot find test.alias.

Any ideas?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,853 Views)
According to your problem, I guess that :
  1. *.lvproj and *.exe have the same name (e.g. application.lvproj and application.exe)
  2. both are in the same directory
I will be able to help you if this is the case !
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,850 Views)
Yes this is the case!
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,844 Views)
OK, here we go !

The problem is that an *.alias file is created for the project AND one for the executable. Because the project and the executable have the same name and are located in the same directory a conflit appears  --> the *.alias file of the project overwrites the one for the executable.

I have already suggested NI to change the extension for one of both files to avoid this behaviour. May be you could also contact them to give more weight to my request.

Meanwhile, you have two options :
  1. Give the *.lvproj and the *.exe different names. I generally name the project PROJ My application.lvproj and the executable My application.exe.
  2. Save the executable to a different directory. (e.g. EXE subdirectory)
In my opinion the first option is the best because you get two *.aliases with different names.

Message 4 of 6
(2,842 Views)

Thanks this worked exactly as you predicted.  I'm not sure how one would make an official request to NI as you suggest.  I naively assumed that they trawl these forums and pick up on issues like this (so far it seems to have worked for me).  But if you could send me the URL of where to do this I will make an official request.

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,833 Views)
I called NI but this seems to be the URL for a written request.
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,830 Views)