LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

illegal board ID

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a .vi file that I want to run and in the diagram the board id is 1. I also have 2 Arduino boards connected with the computer through COM3 and COM4. But when I run the .vi file, the error message "illegal board ID 70012" pops up. I'm not sure how to fix it. I followed the webpage https://knowledge.ni.com/KnowledgeArticleDetails?id=kA00Z000000kEmzSAE&l=en-US but the solution is not really solving my problem. Any ideas on how to change the board ID? (I used NI Max but right-click only gave me "rename" option)

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 13
(1,157 Views)

Maybe if you would attach your VI, we could analyze it.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 13
(1,127 Views)

Thank you so much for the reply! Here are the .vi files we are using

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 13
(1,104 Views)

Here I'm also attaching a screen shot which I can see from my NI MAX. COM3 and COM4 are the Arduino Uno connected. But I can't change board ID here. Only option is the "rename"

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 13
(1,094 Views)

Is your device looks ok in the Windows Device Manager?

George Zou
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 13
(1,077 Views)

Hi,

Sorry for the late reply. I replied a couple days ago via phone but I guess it didn't go through. The device manager is showing the arudino uno from COM3 and COM4 as shown here. But in NI MAX I can't get those two into NI Motion controller. See the attached. I'm struggling on making the device into the NI motion controller as I think this might help me solve the problem.

DONGYANGYI_0-1676661296148.png

DONGYANGYI_1-1676661340564.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 13
(1,032 Views)

What you try to do is NOT possible. As far as LabVIEW is concerned, the Arduino is simply a serial device. And as far as NI Motion is concerned it is a brick. NI Motion only works with NI hardware, which has been discontinued a long time ago.

Your PCI-7344 has a last buy date of 9/29/2018 and was one of the last NI motion boards that was discontinued.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 13
(1,029 Views)

Thank you for the reply! This is a shock for sure. The PCI-7344 is not a working device but something I created to explore the change board ID option. I'm trying to run a device that someone assembled before but the .vi files are not running properly due to this " illegal board ID". I checked the files that the person shared with me which are NI-Motion configurations. I have 7330. 7350 and 7340. I don't really know any of those.

I think if I can solve this .vi "illegal board ID" issue I'll be able to control the hardware through the arduino. Maybe I'm on the wrong direction? Any other suggestions or guidance are really appreciated!

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 13
(1,013 Views)

@DONGYANGYI wrote:

I think if I can solve this .vi "illegal board ID" issue I'll be able to control the hardware through the arduino. Maybe I'm on the wrong direction? Any other suggestions or guidance are really appreciated!

Unless you have a real NI Motion hardware board, you can NOT use the NI Motion API.

And trying to implement the functionality of the NI Motion hardware through an Arduino is at best tedious and cumbersome, but if you are trying to control real motors and not just some hobby motors with it, it's pretty much impossible.

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 13
(996 Views)

Thank you so much for the help! I'm really grateful for all the replies! I checked on the part list and the previous person listed an external PCI slot, an NI PCI-7344 controller card, and an amplifier to control the linear stage. The software to use is Labview SP2018. I've seen the system working last year but when the system was shipped to us later it no longer worked once we assembled everything together. 

Is the card (7344) a physical piece or also some files? And in order to control a rotary stage there's something called DRV8825. At this point it might be a problem with missing pieces or we are not on the right direction of putting the system together. But the MATLAB code which control the entire process is running with no problems. Only Labview is generating errors. 

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 13
(896 Views)