LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i wanted to make a dashboard screen in labview to display serial data from arduino or any serial devices..plz help

I'm a beginner for LabVIEW and Arduino. I wanted to display many parameters from Arduino or any device data through serial communication on to LabVIEW custom dashboard. plz someone help reg. the same.

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 6
(2,230 Views)

In general, this is probably quite difficult.

If you have a more specific set of requirements, it shouldn't be too hard.

Likely what you want is somewhere in the middle...

What "many parameters" do you want to display? How should they be displayed?

What other "device data" (and do you mean other devices, or other data from your Arduino?) do you want to display? And how should that be displayed?

etc...

Serial communication in LabVIEW is usually handled with the VISA nodes, for which several examples are available both online and built-in to LabVIEW (use "Help > Find Examples..."). Avoid using anything that contains "Bytes at Port" when communicating with an Arduino that you're programming - you can always use a "termination character" such as Line Feed (LF, /n, 0x10) instead.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 6
(2,211 Views)

Sounds like you want to be able to monitor the serial traffic between an Arduino and some other program. 

Easier said than done...

What you are describing is a serial "bus sniffer", these require some additional hardware or programming that is far beyond what a self described "beginner for LabVIEW" could do.

The main problem is dealing with Windows OS and the serial port. Once one program (say the Arduino IDE) has the serial port open then another program (like your LabVIEW serial sniffer) can not gain access to the serial port or vice versa because Windows has the resource locked so only one program can access it at a time 

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 6
(2,173 Views)

1. sir, atleast share me any data which displays arguino sensor valuue in labview dashboard custom gauge. 

2. cant i find any serial monitor or plotter (like in arduino ide) in labview by default.

3. i want serial data to be displayed in labview dashboard( any or custom gauges).

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 6
(2,142 Views)

@nandhu123 wrote:

1. sir, atleast share me any data which displays arguino sensor valuue in labview dashboard custom gauge. 

2. cant i find any serial monitor or plotter (like in arduino ide) in labview by default.

3. i want serial data to be displayed in labview dashboard( any or custom gauges).

1. Take a look at the LINX package
  2. Search the examples for a Serial Read example and test that out. It could be made to function somewhat like the "Monitor" in the Arduino IDE - basically you want to use VISA Configure Serial Port, VISA Read and VISA Close. You'll need a loop and probably some sort of timeout handling in the Read part.
  3. Part 2 will give you a string. You can convert values to numbers if you want to plot them on a graph or something. The method will depend on the string formatting that you send from Arduino.

Note that parts 2 and 3 are separate from 1 - part 1 assumes the LINX Arduino application and then simplifies getting specific pin values and so on, parts 2 and 3 assume you want to read (or write) values to a program that you or someone else has written and know the message formatting for.

GCentral
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 6
(2,109 Views)

@nandhu123 wrote:

Ah... Your first post was not very clear. It sounds like you just want to display sensor values on the screen in a chart of other gauges?

You are right there is no "default" thing like that. LabVIEW is a programming language. So all of the pieces you need are contained in the "default" LabVIEW.

You just have to wire them up in the proper order...

In general there a couple of ways to use an Arduino with LabVIEW

1. Use LINX
    1. LINX basically turns an Arduino into a USB DAQ device with access to all of the Ardunio's analog and digital I/O and lots of support for various peripherals, but the Adruino must always be connected to the PC to operate
  2. Use the Arduno's native language and communicate with it the same as any other serial device
    1. I prefer this method as the Ardunio can run "stand alone" or communicate with LabVIEW depending on my application.

If you chose method 2 here's a couple pointers...

An Arduino installs a virtual serial port when it is first plugged into your computer

Use that serial port and NI-VISA to communicate with the Arduino just like any other device on a serial port

Doing this you have full control over the serial protocol, query and response formats since you will be writing the Arduno code

Send data using the Arduino PrintLn function as it appends a LF to the end of the data. You can use that LF as a Termination Corrector in your VISA Reads 

Separate data by comas (data1,data2,data3) then you can use "Spreadsheet string to array" with the Delimiter set to a comma to parse the data from the string right into a numeric array.

Get your Arduino code to work with the Arduino Serial Monitor, then work on the LabVIEW to talk to it

========================
=== Engineer Ambiguously ===
========================
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 6
(2,097 Views)