From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

i/o server 2009

Hello, I am trying to use the I/O server in Labview 2009 to do Modbus communication and I do not understand how it works. Does anyone have information on this and/or examples that I could use?

Thank you very much!

-Jeremy

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 4
(2,556 Views)

Jeremy,

I/O Servers allow you to communicate with various external sources of data, such as OPC servers or Modbus devices, through shared variables.  Basically, once you create your I/O Server for a Modbus device, you'll create bound shared variables for the Modbus data items.  Here are a couple of items on how to configure and use Modbus I/O Servers:

I hope that helps you get started with them. 

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 4
(2,533 Views)

Hello Jared, Thank you for responding to my post. I have already read these links and they were not very helpful. For example, there is no explanation of whether or not I will have to pragmatically open or close the port I am using. I was able to create the communication server itself, but when I go to create specific variables for receiving data from specific addresses, I do not understand how to select the addresses I want. When I try to add a "range" of addresses to read, a list of separate variables is created. When I try to use them, nothing happens...

For the "Using Modbus I/O Servers (DSC Module or RT Module" page, there seems to be a link to view an example, but I am not able to open that link for some reason. If there is an example, is it possible for you to send it to me?

Thank you!

-Jeremy

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 4
(2,521 Views)

Jeremy,

When using I/O Servers to communicate using Modbus, you don't need to handle the closing or opening of ports.  The server engine itself will handle that part of the communication.  A list of separate variables is created when you add a range, because each address represents a data entry which we will represent as a variable.  What type of device are you trying to connect to?  When you try to use the variables, are you just trying to read from the variables?

The Using Modbus I/O Servers page is a copy of the help file from LabVIEW.  The link should work when you find the page through the LabVIEW help. 

Jared S.
Applications Engineering
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 4
(2,501 Views)