From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to update executable

Solved!
Go to solution

I have a program that i built an exe for some time ago. I just went through and changed some stuff in the program I want to update the exe. I thought I could just right click the build under build specifications and build it again but am getting errors because I removed a few sub VIs. This program gets put on one computer in production, it probably won't change again so I don't need to push updates out onto a network or anything crazy, I just need to re build the exe and install it on the one computer that uses it.

I was using the application builder to build a whole new exe when I got to the 'Version Information' tab and realized that I might just be able to update the old exe. Should I just build a new one or is there a way to update? If I can just update somehow i will need to build a new installer, or will I be able to just update that as well? 

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(1,220 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author TheWolfmansBrother

Generally, you just need to rebuild the executable and use the new build to replace the executable on your test system.  Granted, this can get murky depending on what you added, drivers used, external libraries and other files used, etc.  So I recommend also building an installer.  If nothing else, you want the installer for when your test computer decides to go belly up and you have to rebuild the system.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
Message 2 of 3
(1,203 Views)

I figured this was what i was going to have to do. I'll just delete the old build and installer and make new ones then. Thank you. 

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(1,189 Views)