From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to switch On and Switch Off LED using the Lab view

Solved!
Go to solution

how to switch On and Switch Off LED using the Lab view , I need to Switch on and off hard ware LED , not the soft LED .

I need to know different ways to Switch On and Off the LED

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 23
(6,018 Views)

I had used Parallel port signal (sample program available in the example finder) to do this in my old project. What hardware you are using? Give bit more details about your project.

Mathan

Message 2 of 23
(6,017 Views)

We (or at least me, being non-clairvoyant) need to know how you are going to interface to the hardware...

Serial Port

USB

GPIB

PXI

SCXI

C-Rio

FPGA

Parallel Port

Message Edited by Broken Arrow on 03-26-2009 07:18 AM
Richard

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 23
(5,982 Views)

Serial Port

USB

GPIB

PXI

SCXI

C-Rio

FPGA

Parallel Port

SPI

I2C

Fieldpoint

DAQ

Telekinesis

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 23
(5,961 Views)

Firewire

Do the TK drivers come in a special toolkit?  I cannot seem to find them.

Lynn 

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 23
(5,954 Views)

johnsold wrote:

Do the TK drivers come in a special toolkit?  I cannot seem to find them.

You have to be on the CIA special mailing list... What do you mean you don't know about that list? Smiley Surprised Oops...  Smiley Very Happy

IrDA (IR in general)

RF (including RFID)

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 23
(5,950 Views)
From the details, I would probably suggest NI motion to control a robotic arm and flip the lightswitch with that.
Chris Van Horn
Applications Engineer
Message 7 of 23
(5,936 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author prifx2

Hi ,

I need to control  LED from my laptop which is having labview , kindly tell the different ways , my laptop has serial port , is it possible to control using that .

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 23
(5,740 Views)

It is, but not without building a circuit to interface the serial port to the LED. The circuit may be as simple as a resistor, or you may also need to do voltage shifting depending on the serial port voltage levels. The RS-232 spec indicates that the voltage on the serial port can swing up to +/- 12V. Some motherboard manufacurers use chips where the swing is only +/- 5V. There is also the issue of current. The serial port does not provide a whole lot of current. Typically it's only about 5mA. You would need a very low current draw LED. Otherwise you will damage the port.

If you want to pursue this then you should perform a search on this forum as this question has come up several times before. Also scanning the web for "control LED from serial port" is bound to produce a lot of results. 

As for the software part, you can control the serial port using VISA. If you need to control specific lines like DTR or DTS then you can do that with VISA as well. Examples ship with LabVIEW to show you how to do this.

Message 9 of 23
(5,721 Views)

Please do not mark your message as the solution.  It wasn't the solution because all you are doing is asking your question again.  If you go to options on the upper right hand side of your message, then you can unmark that message as a solution.  Then go and mark whichever message helped you the most as the solution.

Are you an NI employee?  If not, how did you get a blue bar for your user name?

Message 10 of 23
(5,709 Views)