From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to protect all VIs by applying a password to the main vi?

Dear folks,

i'm working in LV8.6. In my project, i have lot of vis. i need to protect those vis by applying a password. so whether i should go for every vi and make password protection?. Is any LV feature  available for this without developing any code?

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(4,460 Views)
You can use a source distribution, there is a setting for setting all vi passwords to protect the distribution.
Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(4,446 Views)

Paul is absolutly right because this is the recommended and most comfortable solution.

But there is one issue: it requires the application builder. The application builder is part of the professional package of LV or has to be purchased as an extra toolkit.

You can nevertheless write a simple set of VIs opening the VIs and locking them (so a custom made tool).  This, of course, requires proramming......

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(4,436 Views)
yes and just my personal opinion..... Dont do it unless this is really neccasary......
Message 4 of 12
(4,430 Views)

I like this option because I dont password protect my vi unless absolutly necessary.  I feel that it is much more likely that I lock myself out of a vi than someone gets very rich steeling my vi's inner workings.  The app distribution allows setting the passwords on a copy of code that needs to be protected.  if the source is never distributed externally then you dont have to protect the vi in the project.  Usually code is distributed as an exe and protection is not needed since you can remove the block diagrams.  what is the use case you are interested in for protecting your vi's ip?

Paul Falkenstein
Coleman Technologies Inc.
CLA, CPI, AIA-Vision
Labview 4.0- 2013, RT, Vision, FPGA
Message 5 of 12
(4,411 Views)
I have learned, by making mistakes to many times. NEVER EVER password any files in your "master copy" of the source code 😉

Besides which, my opinion is that Express VIs Carthage must be destroyed deleted
(Sorry no Labview "brag list" so far)
Message 6 of 12
(4,397 Views)

i searched the labvie help and  did not find how to remove the block diagram.

would you give me some hints?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(4,373 Views)
Remove Diagram.JPG
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(4,370 Views)

The screenshot muks provided is for LV 7.x and older.

Since LV 8.x (and later), you have to create a source distribution in order to remove the block diagram. 

hope this helps,

Norbert 

Norbert
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
CEO: What exactly is stopping us from doing this?
Expert: Geometry
Marketing Manager: Just ignore it.
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(4,363 Views)
I will also warn you against password protecting the vis. I was badly irritated once and had to redo everything from the beginning....
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(4,359 Views)