From Friday, April 19th (11:00 PM CDT) through Saturday, April 20th (2:00 PM CDT), 2024, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to program using Labview for an accelerometer

Solved!
Go to solution

Hello:

I have got an accelerometer which has digital I2C/SPI serial interface therefore I bought a USB-I2C converter for acquiring data. I would like to know whether I can use Labview to acquire data from com port and also program for the accelerometer to capture the data of Z-axis. I have got a NI myDAQ white box but sb. said it is not a correct device to acquire I2C/SPI signals before. The datasheet of the accelerometer is in the accessory and the specification of the converter is this link: http://www.robot-electronics.co.uk/htm/usb_iss_tech.htm .

I hope somebody can solve the problem for me. It is better to use labview software for me because most of my project work is based on that.

Best Regards

Jeff

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 3
(3,654 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author JeffJiang

Good News/Bad News.  You have an accelerometer that "talks" I2C, and a USB-to-I2C converter, so if you connect the two of them, you can send "commands" to your accelerometer easily from LabVIEW using the Serial communication VIs.  That's the Good News.  The Bad News is that it looks like you may need to address your accelerometer using very low-level calls, a job I certainly don't want to tackle!  This crys out for a "driver", an intermediate piece of hardware that does all the "hard work" of taking a high-level command ("Please tell me the acceleration") and translates it into things your device understands (including setup, registers, timing, packing and unpacking bits and bytes, etc.).

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 3
(3,625 Views)

Hello Jeff,

As mentioned in pervious post, to program the accelerometer you would need to become very familiar with

evaluation board and accelerometer register level programming. Be ready for a few days of fun reading the manuals. 🙂

Michael.

_________________________________________________________________________________________________
LV 8.2 at Windows & Linux

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 3
(3,614 Views)