LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to program to control HR2000+ (ocean optics)

I am a freshman in LabView. Does anyone who use LabView to control HR2000+ high-resolution spectrometer? Would be appreciated if you could share something with me. Thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(5,392 Views)

Hi wangsir,

Here is a link to the instrument drivers that Ocean Optics has. I'm not sure which one will work for your instrument, but it looks like most of the resources here are password protected, and you'll have to work with Ocean Optics to get access to them.

I found the manual for this device here. See page 11 for the RS-232 command summary. It looks like you will have to make your own cable to communicate with this instrument. Use pins 2 and 3, in your cable to attach to Rx and Tx on the serial port (Tx to Rx and Rx to Tx) so that you can transmit and receive information via RS-232. See page 5 for the electrical pinout.

From the user manual: "The list of the commands is shown in the following table along with the microcode version number the commands were introduced with. All commands consist of an ASCII character passed over the serial port, followed by some data. The length of the data depends on the command. The format for the data is either ASCII or binary (default). The ASCII mode is set with the "a" command and the binary mode with the "b" command. "

Also note: "In the ASCII data value mode, the HR2000 “echoes” the command back out the RS-232 port. In binary mode all data, except where noted, passes as 16-bit unsigned integers (WORDs) with the MSB followed by the LSB. By issuing the “v command” (Version number query), the data mode can be determined by viewing the response (ASCII or binary)."

Here and here are some resources for creating instrument drivers with NI-VISA and serial communication. You can also use the Instrument I/O Assistant to program in LabVIEW. A tutorial for the Instrument I/O Assistant can be found here.

If you are going to use binary mode, here is a KnowledgeBase that discusses how to send binary data using NI-VISA in LabVIEW.

I hope this gives you some direction. Post back if you have specific questions we can answer. Happy programming!

Regards,

Missy S.
Project Engineer
RoviSys
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 7
(5,372 Views)
Hello wangsir,

In order to utilize your HR2000+ spectrometer in Labview you will need to either write your own driver code from scratch (not recommended for the beginner programmer), or purchase the OOILVD Driver package for Labview which is provided by OceanOptics. If you'd like more information on the package please contact us directly at TechSupport@oceanoptics.com.

Best Regards,

Chris Williams
Customer Support Engineer
TechSupport@oceanoptics.com

Message 3 of 7
(5,363 Views)

i am a begginer to Labview iam traying to controle HR2000 RS ocean optics, does it work for you concerning the use of HR2000+, is it possible and if it is may i please see how.

best regads

Fermi.Y

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(3,252 Views)

Hi Fermi,

The last post in this thread was actually made back in 2007, so you're somewhat unlikely to get much response. It would be best if you created a new thread, as people will be more likely to see and respond.

However, I will say that we do have an LabVIEW driver for the HR2000, see here: http://sine.ni.com/apps/utf8/niid_web_display.model_page?p_model_id=4917. I'd suggest you download the driver and try to use the documentation provided to get started. If you have questions on how to use said driver, then you could make a new thread. Please provide as much detail as you can, since this will help others help you.

Cason

Applications engineer, NI

Cassandra Longley
Senior Technical Support Engineer - FlexRIO, High Speed Serial and VRTS
Message 5 of 7
(3,237 Views)

Hi! I am Phi. I using LabView to control HR2000+ high-resolution spectrometer but i don't know how to can do it. So can you help me? Thank you!

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 7
(2,585 Views)

Hi Phil,

What problems are you having? What questions can we answer? Take a look at the instrument driver in the previous post and try it out. Looks like that model is supported by the instrument driver and should work.

Missy S.
Project Engineer
RoviSys
0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,551 Views)