cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to make changes or edit a typedef ctl file

Solved!
Go to solution

Good Day All,

I am using labview 2009 and i am trying to change a ctl file that contain a typdef. The thing is i am not able to add or remove any item from this ctl file. I will post the file so you can try and understand what i mean.

Thanks for any help

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(10,993 Views)

A control can only have a single control of one datatype.  When I opened your file, I saw a cluster as well as numerous other controls of I16.

What you need to do is drag and drop all of those I16 controls into the cluster.  Once you've done that, now you have a single control of a single cluster.

Message 2 of 9
(10,986 Views)
Solution
Accepted by topic author Talal
Yes i took them out from the cluster to see if i can add/remove items. But then i realized that we need to ungroupe them before we can make changes. so small problem solve thanks.
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(10,972 Views)

Then please mark my reply as the solution to the question.

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(10,951 Views)
Well you did not answer the question, my problem was to be able to add or remove items to the groupe not the cluster, you give a solution to a problem that i did not have. But thanks anyways
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(10,947 Views)

No. Your question was about how you were not able to add or remove any items from the control file.  And you can't add items to the control file unless they are all in a single cluster which you did not have until I told you to.  You had 1 cluster and numerous numeric controls.

I don't know what grouping problems you were having.  All I did was drag your loose items into the cluster and then the control stopped being broken.  I didn't need to do anything at all about grouping to fix your file.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(10,935 Views)

I have the same problem.  The original requestor did not say his control was broken.  He (and I) need to remove items from an existing Type Def control.  Is there an answer for that question?

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(10,384 Views)

Right click on any field in the type def.

Click on Open Type Def.

Now you can add or remove fields, as needed.

Be sure to use File - Apply Changes to see what you have changed, then File - Save.

It's simple but not obvious.

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(10,380 Views)

@wildcatherder wrote:

I have the same problem.  The original requestor did not say his control was broken.  He (and I) need to remove items from an existing Type Def control.  Is there an answer for that question?

He did not explicitly say his control was broken.  But when you opened the file, you can obviously see it was broken.

His other problem is that although he said his control was a typedef, it actually wasn't.  You can see it was a regular control file once you opened his control file.

Of course you need to edit the control file of a typedef control to change it.  Taking any LabVIEW tutorials or classes would tell you that information.

Message 9 of 9
(10,372 Views)