LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to lock block diagram alone from editing leaving front panel for editing?

i want to lock block diagram from editing but front panel can be edited for creating controls, moving controls editing properties...

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 9
(3,557 Views)

You can try something like this

-----

The best solution is the one you find it by yourself
Message 2 of 9
(3,540 Views)

Okay so play along with me.  Lets say you did this so you couln't  interact with the BD only the FP.  So you drop down a graph and...well you can't wire it to anything that would require the BD.  So I don't think you know what you are asking for.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 9
(3,488 Views)

I want to lock block diagram from editing but front panel can be edited for creating controls.

Not possible.

Create a NEW VI.

Open the block diagram side by side with the panel.

Place a control on the panel.

By creating a control, you are inherently editing BOTH the front panel and the block diagram.

What is your goal?  If you want to avoid accidental editing, close the diagram window.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 9
(3,477 Views)

i can create frontpanel controls and i will use databinding from properties.....

executables will be delivered to customer and they can create new vi and edit frontpanel and link tag through databinding. but i dont want them to open block diagram...

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 9
(3,427 Views)

I don't think you understand the difference between an executable and a VI.  If you want them to be able to edit anything, they'll need LabVIEW.  You'll also only send VIs rather than executables.

You are also setting yourself up for a world of heartache.  There is no single way to program EVERY potential change a customer may make.  It won't act as you desire and you'll spend more time ad frustration trying to fix things than you would just coding what you want in the first place. 

Stop trying to find a way to make things harder on yourself.

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 9
(3,380 Views)

executables will be delivered to customer and they can create new vi and edit frontpanel and link tag through databinding. but i dont want them to open block diagram...

Natasftw is right - you seem confused about the difference.

If the customer can "create a new VI and edit frontpanel" then they have to have LabVIEW Development System.

If you give them an EXE, and they don't have the DevSys, then they can use your VIs, but not edit them or look at the code.

If they have the DevSys, then they can edit your VI and look at the code, UNLESS you protect it.

If you save a VI with protection (VI PROPERTIES - PROTECTION ) then you can LOCK it (user has to explicitly unlock it with an extra step), or you can PASSWORD PROTECT it (user has to explicitly unlock it by giving a password).  Either way requires the DevSys.

There is no situtation where one can edit the front panel without being able to edit the block diagram.

Steve Bird
Culverson Software - Elegant software that is a pleasure to use.
Culverson.com

Blog for (mostly LabVIEW) programmers: Tips And Tricks

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 9
(3,348 Views)

You can manage the mouse dragging, clicking, etc using an Event Structure.  You could then even programmatically move the controls.  But everything will have to be there.  You are talking about actions that require compilation, which requires having LabVIEW and therefore the ability to change the code.

GCentral
There are only two ways to tell somebody thanks: Kudos and Marked Solutions
Unofficial Forum Rules and Guidelines
"Not that we are sufficient in ourselves to claim anything as coming from us, but our sufficiency is from God" - 2 Corinthians 3:5
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 9
(3,346 Views)

@manig wrote:

i want to lock block diagram from editing but front panel can be edited for creating controls, moving controls editing properties...

What is your goal (like other have already asked)? One another way is to use Source Code Control systems configured from within LabVIEW & not giving edit permissions to everyone in the team, so that they can only view the VIs in the locked mode but can't edit them.

- Partha ( CLD until Oct 2024 🙂 )
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 9
(3,334 Views)