LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to identify which USB barcode scanner

Hi all,

I used two USB barcode scanner on a PC. Is it possible that a program can identify that a barcode is read by which scanner?
If yes, how?

I use LabVIEW 6.1 and LabVIEW 7.1.

Thanks,
Calvin
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(4,294 Views)
How are you communicating with the scanner?  Does the scanner come up as a virtual COM port?  Whatever driver you are using to get the barcade should be able to tell you which scanner the incoming scan came from.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(4,292 Views)
I use USB barcode scanner. The communication is one-way.
Scanners scan out barcodes, and send the decoded data to PC(program input).
Two scanners are set to always trigger, and wait barcodes coming.
But my program has to identify that the incoming comes from which scanner.
I have no idea to program this function with LabVIEW.

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(4,278 Views)
What are you using to get the scancode into LabVIEW?  At this point, I don't care which is which.  If the scanners are setup as virtual COM ports, then you have to open a specific COM port to talk to/listen to the scanner.  If that is the case, then you'll have two loops reading two different COM ports and you'll know from that which scanner provided the code.

If there is some other method of communicating with the scanner, you should still be able to tell where it came from, as you'll call a DLL to check for a scan or something similar.

Do you know how the scanner communicates with the PC (I don't care about LabVIEW at this point)?  If you don't, what is the make and model of the scanner?
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 5
(4,274 Views)
No virtual COM ports, just USB interface.
I have to write a program for identifying which scanner scan-in.
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 5
(4,259 Views)