LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to enable the show block diagram in the menu?

i need to work on a file i recieved and the "show block diagram" in the menu as well as other menu commands and also all the options in the VI's properties are all grayed out. Is there any way to access the properties or the block diagram window?
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 7
(2,994 Views)
It sounds like the VI was saved without a diagram. Once a VI has been saved this way, there is no way to recover the diagram. If you need to modify it, you will have to ask for a new file.
Message 2 of 7
(2,994 Views)

how disable & disappear block diagram

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 7
(2,474 Views)

Why do you want to do that?  I don't recommend it.  Somewhere in the future you'll regret it, or whoever is stuck working on your code after you, when you need to do something to edit or recompile the VI and the block diagram is missing.

Search LabVIEW help for "Removing Block Diagrams."

0 Kudos
Message 4 of 7
(2,468 Views)

Just for understanding,  other than hiding the logical implementation in what way it helps the programmer. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Palanivel Thiruvenkadam | பழனிவேல் திருவெங்கடம்
LabVIEW™ Champion |Certified LabVIEW™ Architect |Certified TestStand Developer

Kidlin's Law -If you can write the problem down clearly then the matter is half solved.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
0 Kudos
Message 5 of 7
(2,459 Views)

There are VI server methods that you can use to write a utility that will save a VI with removed diagram (and even potentially removed front panel).

But before you do that, make a copy of your code and put it somewhere very safe! Once you saved a VI that way, its diagram is gone, and I mean gone for good like in vaporized, kaput, futschi. There is ABSOLUTELY no way to retrieve it anymore.

In addition you can only load such a VI in the same LabVIEW version as it was last saved in, with the same bitness and on the same platform. So it is pretty useless if you ever intend to upgrade to a different LabVIEW version or try out on a different platform (cRIO realtime system, or whatever).

Rolf Kalbermatter
My Blog
Message 6 of 7
(2,454 Views)

@HARRY78 wrote:

how disable & disappear block diagram

When building a source distribution, there is an option to remove diagram and front panel. NO scripting needed.

This is relatively safe, because it does not modify the original code. Still it is quite pointless.

SourceDistNoDiagram.png

wrote:

Just for understanding,  other than hiding the logical implementation in what way it helps the programmer. 

It does not help the programmer.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 7
(2,443 Views)