From 04:00 PM CDT – 08:00 PM CDT (09:00 PM UTC – 01:00 AM UTC) Tuesday, April 16, ni.com will undergo system upgrades that may result in temporary service interruption.

We appreciate your patience as we improve our online experience.

LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to deploy NI Labview 2020, NI DAQmx, NI FPGA, NI Realtime, NI VISA, NI Serial and NI MathScript only and silently

Hello dear all,

The question is quite simple and i never found the solution in the documentation.

In the past we download all separetly and use it like:

"setup.exe" /r:n /qb /AcceptLicenses yes /disableNotificationCheck

and do for all product that we need and separately!

This made it possible to use tools like simple command line scripts to integrate this into microsoft or altiris deployment solutions.

But yet we can only download a bundel of lots of programs that we dont need and install all or nothing...

It gives me a headache and although I think I can see how it works, I can't figure out how it can be done ...

So please, can someone tell us how to do that?

Even to install the package manager in 2019, it was a tough test. I have not yet succeeded with the 2020 ...

Big thanks in advance!

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 2
(802 Views)

I suspect (from observation, experience, but absolutely no inside data) that around 2016-2017, LabVIEW had become sufficiently complex and interconnected, and NI was having enough problems with forward and backward compatibility, that they decided to create One Package Manager to Install them All, called NI Package Manager (or NIPM, for short).

This was a massive undertaking.  The first 2-3 years were horrible (and are now only "not as horrible").  NIPM, I believe, makes decisions "on its own" about how "packages" (which used to be called "Toolkits", "Modules", and "Drivers") are installed, and in what order (though if you really try, you can influence the order "somewhat").

I suspect that this mitigates against an external "install" script for LabVIEW.  If I had to install LabVIEW on, say, 40 laptops or desktops, I'd be very tempted to build a Master Image, including Windows, Utilities, Editors, etc., install LabVIEW on that system, and then use some form of Ghosting software to (legally) duplicate this Image (along with appropriate Windows licenses) to the other machines.

I have had the experience of installing 5-8 LabVIEW installations in a Teaching Lab, typically from a USB Key.  That was a little easier, as it was possible to specify "everything at once" and have it work with less hassle than is typical of NIPM.  It worked best if I had two USB keys -- I'd start two installs, have a cup of tea, start two more, have lunch, start two more, have a snack, and do the last two.  

Bob Schor

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 2
(781 Views)