LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create a menu from data column

Hi,

I want to create a front panel that has a drop down menu where the user can select 1 experiment, a number of cells within that experiment, and for those cells plot AMP vs VAR or AMP vs CELL.

The data already exists in an Excel spreadsheet, so the VI, when run, would access that sheet and in the first menu show EXP1, EXP2, EXP3, the second menu would show C1, C2, C3...and so on depending

on what EXP was selected in the first menu, and then make the plot based on the cells selected.

I know that I don't have a VI attached. What I am looking for is not a full solution (although that would be great), but really where to begin. For the menu, I could use a Combo Box or Ring(?), but I don't know how

to feed EXP data into that menu. Any suggestions would be helpful. My actual problem is much more complicated, but I reduced it to the problem here. If I can get this going, I can build on the VI and solve my 

bigger problem. Thanks in advance.

EXP CELL VAR AMP
EXP1 C1 1 10
EXP1 C2 2 11
EXP1 C3 3 13
EXP1 C4 4 8
EXP2 C1 5.5 9
EXP2 C2 3.4 12
EXP2 C3 2.6 6
EXP3 C1 1.1 5
EXP3 C2 2.1 3
EXP3 C3 2.6 9
EXP3 C4 3.3 10
EXP3 C5 4.3 8
0 Kudos
Message 1 of 10
(2,744 Views)

@murchak wrote:

I know that I don't have a VI attached. What I am looking for is not a full solution (although that would be great), but really where to begin. For the menu, I could use a Combo Box or Ring(?), but I don't know how

Hint: You can read the table from a file using "read from spreadsheet file", and a property node to set the "strings" in the combo box.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 10
(2,736 Views)
Can you give a sample Front panel (no functionality is needed) for your requirement.. Also explain the requirement with some sample images..
Anand kumar SP
Senior Project Engineer
Soliton Technologies Pvt Ltd
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 10
(2,717 Views)

Hi,

Attached is the front panel that I want. Very simple, you choose and EXP, and for that EXP choose the numbers of cells, and for the selected EXP and CELLS, plot

AMP vs VAR.

See the attached VI and the attached data.

Download All
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 10
(2,707 Views)

change your excel file to a ".csv", an ".xlsx" will have to use active x to convert....

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 10
(2,694 Views)

i dont like using xy graph express vi's, you can do this....test_BD.png

0 Kudos
Message 6 of 10
(2,673 Views)

Thanks Apok. This is almost what I am asking for.

The CELL combo box should allow selection of multiple cells, for example when I choose EXP1, I should be able to plot AMP vs VAR for C1, C2, C3.

The other thing is that the combo boxes should read the EXP and CELL column values from the file and those should not be entered manually.

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 10
(2,655 Views)

murchak wrote:

Thanks Apok. This is almost what I am asking for.

The CELL combo box should allow selection of multiple cells, for example when I choose EXP1, I should be able to plot AMP vs VAR for C1, C2, C3.

The other thing is that the combo boxes should read the EXP and CELL column values from the file and those should not be entered manually.

so...the user picks just the EXP# and you want a plot for all the points(cells) associated with that EXP#?

0 Kudos
Message 8 of 10
(2,649 Views)

The user picks the EXP# and with that EXP# there are many cells associated. The user should have the option to choose any number of cells (not necessarily consecutive either) of cell associated with the selected

EXP# and the plot the data for the selected cells. For example, the user can select EXP5, and plot AMP on the Y axis and C1, C2, C3, C7 on the X-axis. Each cell has one AMP value and one VAR value associated with it.

0 Kudos
Message 9 of 10
(2,639 Views)

Hello

There are couple of designs i would try.

simple: When user selects EXP # from a pull down menu, then, fill an array of combo boxes where he can select the cells. You wil have an array in which any number of cells can be selected.

little complicated: When user selects EXP#, fill a list boxes with all cells. Place a 'ADD' and 'DEL' button, The user can ADD any number of Cell values. Give an option to select 'ALL'.

I do not have labview with me now, so giving you only the design concept. Try these two and let me know.

There is an even more complicated option, to fill Tree with Cell values as children. You parent would be the EXP selected. the user can select multiple children and then plot.

In this tree, you can display to the user, the corresponding AMP and VAR as the cell strings in the columns 1 and 2.

Regards
Freelance_LV
TestAutomation Consultant
0 Kudos
Message 10 of 10
(2,621 Views)