LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to create VIs with configurations

Hi all,
Does any body know how I can create VIs whose inputs/parameters are configured with properties (available on the menu after the right click)? I mean I want to create my own VIs which will be similar to some VIs in LV that show configuration window when clicked.
Thanks so much!
~Cassiopea

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 5
(2,697 Views)
Well, it's all pretty much a roll-your-own solution. I have seen people post things like pop-up menus, screens etc. You could do something like that. Do a search on the forum for popup menu.

Mike...

Message Edited by mikeporter on 07-04-2007 10:12 PM

Certified Professional Instructor
Certified LabVIEW Architect
LabVIEW Champion

"... after all, He's not a tame lion..."

For help with grief and grieving.
0 Kudos
Message 2 of 5
(2,693 Views)

Do you mean that you want to create your own polymorphic vi? That adapts when you change an input or when you select an option from a drop down list?

Check out these links...

http://zone.ni.com/reference/en-XX/help/371361B-01/lvhowto/using_polymorphic_vis/

http://digital.ni.com/public.nsf/websearch/07250A75BBC292AF8625693700523ADA?OpenDocument

Troy - CLD "If a hammer is the only tool you have, everything starts to look like a nail." ~ Maslow/Kaplan - Law of the instrument
0 Kudos
Message 3 of 5
(2,677 Views)

I assume you mean an express VI (the ones with the blue background).

Express VIs have a front panel and code which allow them to change another VI when the user interacts with them. To create them, you need to use a special toolkit. I don't have it, so I can't really tell you anything useful, but my guess would be that it is harder than you expect because you have to write code to change the other VI and that can be complicated.

(2,672 Views)
If you want to see examples of express VIs, have a look in LabVIEW\vi.lib\express and look for LLBs with "configure" in them. These are the configuration screens. Note that a lot of the subVIs are password protected.

(2,669 Views)