LabVIEW

cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

how to connect the output of my VI to a midi port?

I want my VI to send a midi signal to a Midi port to later play it using Kontakt (or any other VST or midi player). I do not want to play the midi in Labview. How can I connect the midi port to Labview?

I really need anyone's help, and thanks 😄

0 Kudos
Message 1 of 12
(3,528 Views)

Did you try a search? http://forums.ni.com/t5/forums/searchpage/tab/message?filter=location&location=forum-board%3A170&q=m...

Look through the previous posts to determine which one matches your situation. You haven't indicated what you actually have in terms of hardware, so I have no idea which solution or suggestion best fits your needs.

0 Kudos
Message 2 of 12
(3,517 Views)

Hey, tnx a lot for ur post, well I already checked those forums but I didn't find what I need. My request sounds simple: I have a couple of IR sensors that I connected through a NI USB-6009 DAQ and everytime a sensor is activated I want Labview to send the relevant MIDI signal to a VST so that I play the relevant music from the VST  (or if there is a sub VI that does the work of the VST, I wouldnt mind using it instead) .

PS: I have tried using an internal midi port like LoopBe1 but I am not able to access it from Labview.

Thanks again 😄

0 Kudos
Message 3 of 12
(3,504 Views)
Hey, I just want to reformulate my question to be clearer: I want my VI to talk to Kontakt. Now Kontakt would expect an input from a virtual midi port (I am using be1 as a virtual midi port). What I basically need now is to write from my VI to the virtual midi port. PS: I am using Labview 2010 Tnx again 😄
0 Kudos
Message 4 of 12
(3,494 Views)

What is a "VST"? What is "LoopBe1"? What is "Kontakt"? You said you wanted your VI to talk to Kontact. What does that mean? Is Kontakt a piece of hardware? Is it a software application? What API do you have available?

Also, please use full words instead of text-speak (ur -> your). This isn't Twitter. Thank you.

0 Kudos
Message 5 of 12
(3,491 Views)

Hi,

Could you please clarify your setup. What kind of software and hardware is involved and how is it connected together.

Thanks,

Sev K.
Senior Systems R&D Engineer | Wireless | CLA
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 6 of 12
(3,478 Views)

" Virtual Studio Technology (VST) is an interface for integrating software audio synthesizer and effect plugins with audio editors and hard-disk recording systems. VST and similar technologies use digital signal processing to simulate traditional recording studio hardware with software" 

This VST takes as input a midi signal from a midi port. I want to send that signal from labview through a vitual midi port (Loop be1 is an example of a virtual midi port). How can my VI communicate with a midi port instead of the " Microsoft GS wavetable synth" ? (In other words it would be the same as switching a music keyboard with my VI) .

Thank you,

Nadi

0 Kudos
Message 7 of 12
(3,463 Views)

Hi Nadi,

Have a look at the this tutorial. You can use the VI's from midi-example.llb  to output a signal to the virtual midi port, provided that this port is recognized by Windows and has a valid Device ID.

Sev K.
Senior Systems R&D Engineer | Wireless | CLA
National Instruments
0 Kudos
Message 8 of 12
(3,452 Views)

I have a large MIDI rig (including Kontact 5 Player in my DAW).  The posts that you saw are probably all the help you're going to get on this subject.  You are not going to find a MIDI palette in LabVIEW any time soon.  Smiley Sad

You're best bet is to learn some C++ and the MS dll that handles multimedia and wrap the MIDI parts in a new dll that you can call with LabVIEW CLFN.

EDIT: BTW, DEFINITELY start with the library linked above by Sev.  It will provide a good example of using the CLFN. Smiley Happy

LabVIEW Pro Dev & Measurement Studio Pro (VS Pro) 2019 - Unfortunately now moving back to C#, .NET, Python due to forced change to subscription model by NI. 8^{
0 Kudos
Message 9 of 12
(3,443 Views)

@smercurio_fc wrote:

What is a "VST"? What is "LoopBe1"? What is "Kontakt"? You said you wanted your VI to talk to Kontact. What does that mean? Is Kontakt a piece of hardware? Is it a software application? What API do you have available?

Also, please use full words instead of text-speak (ur -> your). This isn't Twitter. Thank you.

This response has a very low Signal to Nastiness ratio. IMHO  

0 Kudos
Message 10 of 12
(2,861 Views)